Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,954,766
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-29-24 02:13 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in The Officer's Club | 1 bot

Main - The Officer's Club - I feel bad because I didn't major in CS and so I can't get a job and support my parents
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Kironide
Posted on 11-24-13 11:09 AM Link | ID: 37131
Normal User

Paragoomba

Level: 21

EXP: 45151
Next: 4792

Since: 01-07-12

Last post: 3231 days
Last view: 3104 days
because if I had done that then starting next July or the July after that I would probably have a job that pays at or above 100k/year in Seattle as a software developer as a lot of perks, because my school has a top 5 CS program and I would probably have done well. And then both my parents could start thinking about retiring, and of course they would have to work like half as much as they do now, which is a shit ton.

Instead I'm spending three years in school just to get degrees in the pure sciences, which aren't really employable despite the circlejerk about STEM leading to jobs, which is just not true unless you're going into engineering (guess what I'm not going into?) And then I get to be a PhD student for like five years if I'm lucky where I get paid almost minimum wage and half of it goes to rent anyway and then when I get out of the PhD program I'll end up underemployed and working at fucking Burger King or something. Seriously, fuck.

KP
Posted on 11-24-13 06:19 PM Link | ID: 37134
Retired Staff
NES Game Aficionado
Level: 73

EXP: 3331199
Next: 154669

Since: 01-02-12

Last post: 1943 days
Last view: 1451 days
Well, can't you get some kind of internship or something? I hear a lot of career pathways begin there. Also, education means a lot to employers, but it also means a lot to them to have work experience. Sometimes you just gotta deal with the "underemployment" for a little bit. I'm not talking about flipping burgers, but work somewhere that at least acknowledges your completed education to some extent for a while, then work at getting the job you really want. The "American Dream" isn't all it's cracked up to be, and you usually have to keep getting your foot in the door until you're up sitting behind the CEO's desk on the penthouse level...

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - The Officer's Club - I feel bad because I didn't major in CS and so I can't get a job and support my parents

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.031 seconds. (760KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 59, rows: 482/515, time: 0.027 seconds.