Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,376
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-28-24 06:29 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in General ROM Hacking and Emulation | 1 bot

Main - General ROM Hacking and Emulation - Project Underscore - Understanding custom sprites and blocks, and their place in level design
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Tyty
Posted on 08-13-12 06:44 PM Link | ID: 23573
Normal User

Tektite

Level: 18

EXP: 25013
Next: 4884

Since: 01-21-12

Last post: 762 days
Last view: 367 days
Quote from the SMWC C3 thread:

I've had an idea I've been wanting to work on for a while now that I just started yesterday. It's pretty simple, I take a week (Yes, just 1 week), spend my time making a vanilla hack, and then it's done.

But that's not the end of it. Afterwards, I take said hack, and revamp it with custom sprites, custom graphics, and custom music. It's mostly so I can teach myself how to do stuff since it's changed a lot and I haven't been keeping up.

The general idea of the hack is to look at the balance between aesthetics, level design, and general flare, and underscore (:V) the differences and benefits they all bring. Flare being the fancy things, music, graphics etc. Aesthetics being how it all fits together, and level design... well, that's obvious.

It's just going to be one world, following a difficulty curve of world 1 all the way up to a last/bonus world. I spent most of today making the overworld (I forgot how clunky that editor was), so I quickly whipped up a level that'll probably get changed around a lot this coming week, just for you guys to see at the end of C3! So, yeah!

Anyways, yeah. I did manage to get it done in a week way back then, but I've yet to post it and begin work on the fancy stuff because I've been really really busy with school and work recently. Anyways, the hack is done, vanilla-wise, and all that's left is to add the fancy stuff and see how it affects my level design.

And when I was talking about not playtesting my levels earlier in IRC, this is the hack. I didn't play the castle level... So it may be 'fun' :D

Anywho, yeah. Here's the vanilla version. We'll see if I ever find time to make the non-vanilla version.

IPS Patch here. Use a regular clean headered SMW ROM. The usual.

Emuz
Posted on 08-14-12 02:50 AM Link | ID: 23621
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13210876
Next: 309623

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 115 days
Last view: 17 hours
This a cool idea. It's interesting to see how something with and without graphic changes compares! I hope you do find the time to change the graphics.

I'll check it out when I get some time :)

The Dynamic Profile Administratorâ„¢

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - General ROM Hacking and Emulation - Project Underscore - Understanding custom sprites and blocks, and their place in level design

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.033 seconds. (796KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 59, rows: 517/550, time: 0.027 seconds.