Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,852
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-29-24 08:35 AM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in msg db 'Computer Address',0xa | 3 bots

Main - msg db 'Computer Address',0xa - Smartphone crapo: battery draining
Next newer thread | Next older thread

What would you do?
Root it and investigate
Install CyanogenMod
Other
Multiple voting is not allowed. Changing your vote is allowed. 5 users have voted so far.

Arisotura
Posted on 04-19-16 11:42 PM, in Link | ID: 89751
Developer
pancakes
Level: 83

EXP: 5395819
Next: 36402

Since: 01-05-12

Last post: 655 days
Last view: 194 days
I have mentioned it in IRC, but eh, not sure what to do.

My phone is a HTC Desire 601. I got it two years ago and it's cool, it does what I want.

EXCEPT. A while ago it started doing that thing where something keeps the CPU busy and drains the battery ridiculously fast. All information I can access about it points at the system. I tried axing the Facebook app (useless anyway), but nope.

So what's this crap? Inefficient hipster coding somewhere? Special code HTC added to enforce planned obsolescence? (amazingly fitting with the fact that they no longer offer updates for this phone, beyond a libstagefright fix)

I could root it and start investigating via adb or something, but rooting it will factory-reset it.

Or while I'm at it, I could install a CyanogenMod build, but the only one available is still full of issues. I could try working on them, but uh.

Or I could do something entirely different? Have any of you dealt with similar shit?

I don't take "buy a new phone" as a valid answer. I refuse to give in to planned obsolescence especially if they're using petty tricks to enforce it.

want some revolution in your coffee?

Elemi
Posted on 04-20-16 12:21 PM, in Link | ID: 89752
Normal User

Jejfjsiejrjntnyns8fujrtnjs8f7eibrbtudiwie
Level: 37

EXP: 319887
Next: 18366

Last post: 1598 days
Last view: 133 days
Posted by StapleButter
I have mentioned it in IRC, but eh, not sure what to do.

My phone is a HTC Desire 601. I got it two years ago and it's cool, it does what I want.

EXCEPT. A while ago it started doing that thing where something keeps the CPU busy and drains the battery ridiculously fast. All information I can access about it points at the system. I tried axing the Facebook app (useless anyway), but nope.

So what's this crap? Inefficient hipster coding somewhere? Special code HTC added to enforce planned obsolescence? (amazingly fitting with the fact that they no longer offer updates for this phone, beyond a libstagefright fix)

I could root it and start investigating via adb or something, but rooting it will factory-reset it.

Or while I'm at it, I could install a CyanogenMod build, but the only one available is still full of issues. I could try working on them, but uh.

Or I could do something entirely different? Have any of you dealt with similar shit?

I don't take "buy a new phone" as a valid answer. I refuse to give in to planned obsolescence especially if they're using petty tricks to enforce it.

I am no android coder, I know nothing, but having had many phones and tried many roms I can say that I personally would just flash a stock rom, wipe the whole thing and start fresh, root it, debloat and see where I go with that. CM would be lovely if every rom I have ever tried of theirs official and not didn't have experience spoiling bugs like Bluetooth intermittency or sleep wake crashes and bad cell reception..

I have actually gotten to the point of going back to seperate devices as in having a classic Nokia that lasts me ages on a charge, a nice camera and an iPod touch for wifi access and such, does me fine...

Also avoid snapdragon if you ever upgrade, worse than AMD when they were bad, avoid avoid avoid, all they are is fast but terrible quality when pushed more than that of what the average housewive would use it for.

Epele
Posted on 04-20-16 12:27 PM, in Link | ID: 89753
Site Administrator
The Sorceress.
Boing~

Level: 235

EXP: 200196023
Next: 1729869

Since: 01-01-12

Last post: 814 days
Last view: 8 hours
CyanogenMod is fantastic. I ran it on my Galaxy S, before I finally put it to rest.

My Galaxy S had 4 days worth of battery on a full charge, with low usage. CM boosted that to 5 days. Very noticeable increase over the Android version that Samsung provided.

Also, which version of Android do you have on it currently?
Gingerbread, ICS, Kitkat, Lollipop, Marshmallow?

The world could always use more heroes!

Arisotura
Posted on 05-13-16 11:52 PM, in Link | ID: 90022
Developer
pancakes
Level: 83

EXP: 5395819
Next: 36402

Last post: 655 days
Last view: 194 days
Update on this: I axed both Facebook and Messenger apps. It seemed to do the trick... for a while. But no, this phone is trolling me, the battery draining is back at full force. At this point I really suspect they're using that crap to enforce planned obsolescence.

It's Android 4.4.2 iirc. Something close.

I'll probably wipe it clean or something. I'd go with CyanogenMod, but this being a not so popular phone model, there's only an unofficial CM build with bugs like "phone app crashes when calling for more than 3 minutes" (entirely made up example but you get the idea).

want some revolution in your coffee?

Moonlight Capital
Posted on 10-02-16 07:16 AM, in Link | ID: 92937
Normal User
Click here for catgirls
Level: 32

EXP: 203765
Next: 2677

Since: 04-26-16

Last post: 1895 days
Last view: 1894 days
I have a Wiko LENNY2 who has an almost broken battery: i bought it on september 2015 and in january it started being derp.

Seriously, it takes tons of charges and has a really limited battery -.-

My mum is a derp, so he takes suggestion with her workfriand, and then buying a really stupid mobile -.-

Jamie
Posted on 12-05-17 02:53 PM, in Link | ID: 108076
Banned
Excessive drama.
Level: 73

EXP: 3409828
Next: 76040

Since: 06-03-14

Last post: 1820 days
Last view: 503 days
iOS does the same thing if you don’t have the latest version of iOS or the latest iPhone. Just thought I’d revive this as the topic interests me...

Though I’m not surprised, iOS 7 and iOS 9 were the worst leaps for iOS. Extending the 4 to iOS 7.1 and the 4s to 9.3.5 was the worst ideas they could have done, as well the 5 on iOS 10 switches off at around 30% battery left. (Also on holiday my 4s decided to turn off for 6 hours.)

I feel like the battery drain is artificial since it has enough power to say it is dead...

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - msg db 'Computer Address',0xa - Smartphone crapo: battery draining

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.074 seconds. (815KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 95, rows: 509/542, time: 0.063 seconds.