Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 9,015,031
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
04-28-24 11:14 AM
Guest: Register | Login

Main - Posts by Scrydan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102

Scrydan
Posted on 07-17-14 02:20 AM, in What's on your mind? Link | ID: 69999
Normal User
Scryforce - A place that still exists. Neat.
Level: 86

EXP: 5954960
Next: 187147

Since: 07-18-12

Last post: 775 days
Last view: 757 days
I would really love such a concept to be real. I could develop several things so much faster and might make myself an indie company working on various things all at the same time. One part of me being a writer and story designer, one being an artist of sorts, one obviously coding, and a few to take care of various odds and ends.

And one just relaxing and not giving a darn about anything. Guess which one I'd be?

Scrydan
Posted on 07-17-14 02:24 AM, in Kafuka's CitiHall: "Scattered before you there are three tomes.." Link | ID: 70001
Normal User

I am born at 2:05 AM and as of typing this:
23 years, 8 months, 3 days, 20 hours, 16 minutes, 50 seconds old

Give or take a few seconds difference to type this. Sort of weird for the calender/event page to tell me my exact age but cool at the same time. I can see how much of my life I used at my own site if I wanted. :P

*hugs Taryn back*
Nice to see you too, and Emuz! It has been awhile for sure. Although life typically keeps me busy. Always working on the latest and greatest code page.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-17-14 08:47 PM, in July KCS Rankings (7/31 - Note to self: Buy a huge pile of chocolate. Sugar deprivation is awful :<) Link | ID: 70062
Normal User

I might disappear for awhile. I need to work on some important things I keep forgetting/putting off via various distractions.

Someone should poke me and try to get me back if I forgot.

Scrydan
Posted on 11-27-14 02:06 AM, in Saying goodbye... (RIP Taryn 7/19/1987 - 11/15/2014) Link | ID: 79092
Normal User

I was quite speachless when I seen this site for the first time in a few months. I just so happened to want to check in on everyone. She was a very good friend to me, probably one of the best I've had. She had a certain way of making me smile.

Upon seeing this and finishing, before I could even attempt to write anything I truly broke down crying hard for hours, and it took someone special to me to calm me down. I wanted to visit sooner and perhaps even talk to her. Alas it isn't possible and I so very much want this to be some horrible rotten prank. I haven't felt this sad since my mom died, and to similar condition too which struck home hard.

But after 12 hours of calming myself down and sleeping a bit, I must (as we all) remember the good moments and hold them close to us all. It is important to remember the positive and be happy. She would want us to be happy and not sad.

I know its been mentioned before, but I do want to honor her with a character in my RPG. She lives on in our hearts and so shall she through a honorable creation to her character and memory (I actually planned to do so anyways and wanted to talk to her about some things). She made this dragon happy and she will be remembered as a good friend and one of the best moments I've had here at Kafuka. May she be happy wherever she goes and know she is loved by many.

Scrydan
Posted on 11-27-14 02:33 AM, in Kafuka's CitiHall: "Scattered before you there are three tomes.." Link | ID: 79097
Normal User

I wished I was back under better circumstances but I suppose a good 'hello' is in order. Most of my away time this time was because of lack of internet after I moved for a time. It is weird finally being in an entirely different living circumstance but at least I have someone nice to keep me company as opposed to living alone.

May or may not be around more but I'll try. Who knows? Might even get one or two interested in what I am working on. I had hoped to talk to Taryn but well...in any case I still have others here whom I enjoy talking too as well. <3

Scrydan
Posted on 12-06-14 06:46 PM, in Saying goodbye... (RIP Taryn 7/19/1987 - 11/15/2014) Link | ID: 79757
Normal User

It is still hard to think she passed away. Oddly enough I had a dream in which we were talking about old Acmlmboard 2.6 related things (she in the past actually helped test some things) and some project that gave away to a new age of posting of the likes I have never seen. Yet unlike so many good dreams, they seem to always end when it gets good.

I never will forget the smiley she often loved using "~_^" and got me into doing the flip of it as a reply to her. And she loved cats.
Cats are amazing and soon I'll be able to finally get my own after awhile ever since I moved to a new apartment. She always wanted me to get one as soon as I was able to.

Scrydan
Posted on 02-04-15 12:40 AM, in I might be borderline Link | ID: 81487
Normal User

The only thing that seemed to help me back long ago when this was sort of an issue (as far as being clingy is concerned and feeling people are too busy for me) would be to focus yourself in a project that consumes a lot of time. It might possibly be one that friends might want to participate in. I work alongside a room mate on my RPG from time to time (ideas of mechanics) and might possibly get another involved (art). But working on something solo is good too. I can get tunnel vision pretty hard when I work on something as it puts everything else out, so it might do well to do this. Find something to be passionate about and maybe it'll help one way or another.

It is also a good idea to find someone who you can talk to. Sometimes you just need to vent a little. Sometimes what you feel is not really the reality of the situation. Such as the feeling of no one caring. I'm just thankful of my special dragon. :3

Scrydan
Posted on 02-11-15 06:43 AM, in Windows 10 Link | ID: 81732
Normal User

Posted by Nicole
I can only imagine this numbering is Microsoft giving the middle finger to the "every other Windows is good" idea :P

My thoughts exactly. Still though, when 8 initially popped up I was thinking based one a few looks it'd be worse than Vista...and that's saying something. *shrug*

Honestly they should call it something other than 10. Not sure what but 10 seems silly to me, especially skipping 9. Anyone else think so?

Scrydan
Posted on 02-14-15 11:26 PM, in Permission system design shiz Link | ID: 81952
Normal User

Posted by StapleButter
Permission set shrunk down to the basics

All while still giving enough control of course (you'd be better off using powerlevels otherwise). But for example, we reduce the level of control for cases that aren't needed. Forum moderation permissions are merged into one 'moderate forum' permission, because you will rarely ever need more control over it.

I must say, my original change to the permission system would have had it where it combined multiple of the existing permissions into one, and anything that is "global this" or "ID specific" would have just been combined into a different scope of the base permission. If I recall, the old permissions currently existing in this board is still "edit-forum" and "edit-all-forums" or something to that degree? I haven't looked into the code lately so I wouldn't know.

As for combining things like allowing someone to edit posts in a forum with something like allowing them to move threads out of this forum, I must say I disagree. As for an example, you might want to have posts be edited in this particular forum but you don't want them to be moved out. You pretty much limit the permission system to checkboxes that say "hey, are you a local moderator?" or "do you manage the forums?". To me, the permission system should allow for things that the original board author does not necessarily intend to use for his own site. While it may seem logical to you to simplify or "dumb down" the permissions, I say it is a step back towards powerlevels. If it isn't hurting you to have the ability, don't fix what isn't broken by tying your own hands into "cookie cutter permissions". And while I loved powerlevels, to me this system is powerful and can be made a lot more powerful. Then again, using my own system as an example, I know that all too well.

(Like allowing a user to edit a specific account or whatever. Sure many owners won't even use it, but hey you can. It allows freedom to do things without editing hardcoded pages. But I do agree they need revamped. If anything, to allow more flexibility with less permissions. Have less but do more.)

Posted by StapleButter
There are no permissions for things like 'view the registration page', 'view the login page', etc... Those things don't need permissions, it all boils down to checking whether the user is logged in.

I must say that this is simply something that never should have had permission in the first place - EXCEPT for the fact some sites may have registration off and make staff do registration so they may want to be allowed to make accounts while logged in and disallow it to guests.

Sure you may not do this and there's a better way (like simply setting it as a registration setting), but I've seen a site or two need this functionality to prevent bots. Registration may be the only thing that should keep like it is in this case. Login should, of course, not need permission but just check login. There's not much point to login again, even if as someone else because you should simply just log off if you're one of those people needing multiple accounts. But alas, there might just be someone who does think it should be permission tied. Really it is about the uses you have out of it. Everyone will have a slightly differing opinion about what would need axed.

Posted by StapleButter
There are no separate groups for guests and bots. Those get the same permissions as normal users (minus things that require login). It's probably less flexible in restricting what bots can access, though.

There was a time I'd agree with this approach back when I wanted minimal groups back in my powerlevel loving days slowly graduating to permissions. However, this is assuming a website owner wants every page a user to view to also allow guests - besides the obvious hardcoded areas. This then means you need to hardcode some function to prevent guests from accessing places. While things like posting are a no brainer, some places or pages may want to be restricted to only users - and on the other hand, another owner may want said pages to be viewed. Let me give you an example that you'll possibly disagree with.

Let's say the calender is like the one I have now (it is functioning with events you can add and birthdays, etc). What if you only wanted it to be accessed by users? What if there's private stuff? Why sure you could code a "visibility selection" for the particular event to prevent guests (for there are private events), but doing so for every event seems silly. But for everything you hardcode, there's someone out there that thinks it can be done a better way. Which is why there must be a balance to everything you restrict out for guests/bots.

You probably might have noticed I personally removed the "Bots" group from my listing, but in truth it is just handled in a different manner that does not require you to dedicate a group ID for bot permissions. Same could be done with guests. I just use them as a base since they have another use (like default view groups and setting them to 1/guestid for "all").

All in all, you will all do what you think, but it is moments like this I don't even know where the project is going anymore. :P
(Then again, since two years ago I felt like that...)

Scrydan
Posted on 04-01-15 10:06 AM, in The Future of the Entire World Link | ID: 84011
Normal User

I am announcing the latest system development for the future of everyone's lives.

Have you ever wondered how far can technology take us? Well look no further. It has been in the making for over 5 years now but maybe it will be worth it.
Just think, no more unemployment, taxes spent on prisoners will be nil, and you can escape to fantasies and be useful to mankind!

Now while votes are needed to make this work, please note that higher powers are at work here. So no pressure!

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 07:24 PM, in Neat Features - Random Thread for showing off? (rev. 2 of 04-13-15 07:28 PM by Scrydan) Link | ID: 84413
Normal User

I suppose I wanted to share with someone some of the things designed in my board. Considering the fact not many will see its light of day for quite some time.

So lately I've been looking at my schemes/(themes as you know them) editor and thought of some solution to a feature I wanted for quite some time.

Now the following as an example:
<link rel="stylesheet" href=""css/abI.css?tz=-18000&minover=0">

Would need something like (id="schemefile") for this trick to be applied here as well as a style tag right below it. Now I recently added this feature but its quite nice that you can see any Scheme's effects through some JS magic.

The code that makes the magic happen:

function changescheme(cssfile)
{
document.getElementById('schemefile').href="{path-to-cssfile}œ²Ηβ•ζλ"> document.getElementById('overridescheme').innerHTML = '';
}
function overridescheme()
{
document.getElementById('schemefile').href='';

var schemecss = document.getElementById('cssfield').value;
//I recommend you do some replace function to fix image pathing or you WILL have a broken Theme test when editing!
//This is because the path is different compared to where ever your CSS is located.
schemecss = schemecss.replace(/..\/..\/images\//gi, 'boardfiles/images/');
document.getElementById('overridescheme').innerHTML = schemecss;
}

$(document).ready(function()
{
changescheme('{insert-your-css}');
});

Now this is an example of what is used on the editor page. The first function is used on the main page, as well as a test page that tests all site elements. You can make display any test element and make sure it looks all right in all available schemes.

The other function is to use the current text input for the CSS to override the Scheme. Thus you can compare the current with the new. I've also linked the current scheme the logged user is using so they can compare user scheme, target scheme, and text scheme.

The result is quite nice and very useful to those who wish to edit and add new schemes/themes to their board.

Do note that this value (cssfile) from the schemes page is automatically filtered to only allow "a-zA-Z_" characters as the file's name on my site's editor. I do not advise on forgetting to filter the values as it could lead to bad results (or broken JS). The hook for the style only applies for the scheme editor page. Optionally you could filter out things like </style> or even < + > when you are using the CSS style. It is still a works in progress idea, but I like it and perhaps someone besides myself can benefit from this code.

I might share some more interesting features here and there. But don't let me have all the fun. Share some of your own here as well. Could be from anything you coded, but make sure it is something you've done.

Edit: Optionally for the overridescheme function; you can instead of no arguments list one optional one that can change the textbox's ID so that it can be used in more than one place but it isn't needed on my site.

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 07:47 PM, in The Future of the Entire World Link | ID: 84414
Normal User

Should such a system ever exist, I think it might be good in one regard. Either way, it'll unit in either a perfect society or a global scale rebellion. At least we'll all unit in one way or another?

Except that won't happen. hehe

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 07:54 PM, in Kafuka's CitiHall: "Scattered before you there are three tomes.." Link | ID: 84416
Normal User

Looks like someone needs to super glue a chair around here and have me sit on it. That way, I don't go off to get kidnapped by evil ninjas who want me to toil away and never to return here for a time.

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 07:59 PM, in April KCS Rankings (4/30 - The rankings page just tried to generate a ranking for April 31. lol.) Link | ID: 84417
Normal User

Time for a few random posts.

Alrighty, see you in a couple days/weeks/months. Byyyyyy- wait, maybe this time will be different. Yes, perhaps there is hope yet. Now if only I could find something to focus on without me dropping everything for the smallest distraction.

Well, I might drop for a time for GTA V because - well, it has only been a game on the to play list forever since I pre-bought it. Hoping the last few hours of waiting aren't so bad. Waited this long, what could a few more be? "GTA V DELAYED UNTIL 2016!" *dies*

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 08:02 PM, in What's on your mind? Link | ID: 84418
Normal User

Waiting for the final few hours until GTA V is released while working on my site. Planning on a stream later tomorrow at 10 AM CST if anyone is interested. Might have some fun with my excellent driving skills that in no way break any natural laws. Nope!

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 08:04 PM, in What did you do today? Link | ID: 84419
Normal User

Worked on redesigning over 10 schemes on my site and creating a lot more. And some which are "private" and will forever be so to a few users. Thanks group only schemes. :P

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 08:08 PM, in Establishment of the New World Order: Acmlm Board БовСтский Боюз Link | ID: 84420
Normal User

Wait, this thread is only worthy enough for a sticky? This thread totally needs to be "Global stickied" so that all may know things will be different.

At least we'd hope but same song, different verse. Guess before too long this should be destickied or archived. Forever remembered as a time one learned to laugh and love.
And at least Mojang had lots of laughs at their 'love update'. haha

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 08:15 PM, in Establishment of the New World Order: Acmlm Board БовСтский Боюз Link | ID: 84422
Normal User

Posted by Nicole
It's a well-known fact that the best way to ignore a thread is to sticky it.

Yeah, that is why all staff sticky anything at all. Especially anything like "Rules", "FAQ", "{Insert-common-thread}".
And yet for some reason it is likely to draw attention.

Maybe "Sticky:" needs replaced with "Ignore:" or "Stranger Danger:". Totally would change their view to ignore the thread then. :P

Scrydan
Posted on 04-13-15 10:02 PM, in what did you catch so far? Link | ID: 84427
Normal User

Just noticed there's more to capture. Just when I had all the rare ones and one or two left. Guess I'll have more often times to capture. Whee, just like Pokemon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102

Main - Posts by Scrydan

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.127 seconds. (1146KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 226, rows: 564/614, time: 0.103 seconds.