Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 9,058,368
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
05-03-24 11:42 PM
Guest: Register | Login

Main - Posts by imamelia

imamelia
Posted on 09-16-12 05:40 AM, in New member introduction thread! Link | ID: 26700
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

Level: 9

EXP: 3054
Next: 108

Since: 09-16-12

Last post: 4221 days
Last view: 4221 days
Hi, everyone...or as I say in my LPs: Salvete, omnes. I'm imamelia (pronounced "I'm Amelia"). Some of you may recognize me from SMW Central, or maybe even Jul or byuu's board. I came here because...well, I guess because Scrydan mentioned this place, and maybe because I'm in a funk with my SMW hacking and thought another board could be a good place to hang out. I like playing video games (mostly platformers, and the SNES is my favorite console), and I've done several LPs. I am also an avid reader, play and compose music, and am very interested in language.

So...yeah. Here I am.

imamelia
Posted on 09-17-12 06:59 AM, in New member introduction thread! Link | ID: 26747
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

Just whatever I want, I guess. I do vocal commentary (although I've been considering trying text commentary just for a few games), and I have a few rules about what games I will LP that I only rarely make exceptions for, such as nothing that I haven't already played and beaten. I mostly play old-school platformers, although some games that I'd like to play I can't because the systems can't be emulated (or can't be emulated well enough, or my computer can't handle the emulators that exist for them) and I lack the necessary hardware to record direction from a TV or console. (I want to find some way to do that so I can record, well, anything newer than the fifth generation, such as stuff from my PS2, Wii, or 3DS.) My YouTube username is TheMartianGeek, and I have a decent number of videos on my channel, although I'm rather sporadic with when I post them...and I kind of wish they'd get more comments. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks, you guys. I do hope to enjoy my time here. Maybe I'll engage in some random conversation, maybe I'll display stuff I have to show off, maybe I'll even do a little roleplaying. We'll have to see how it goes.

imamelia
Posted on 09-18-12 06:17 PM, in New member introduction thread! Link | ID: 26850
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

Trapster: I don't know. I just want something that would send feedback from a TV or to my computer screen (or even a handheld console, although I don't know how that could be done). The HD DVR you mentioned looks pretty good, but it also looks pretty expensive...and any TVs I'd use it for would be pretty old, not HD or even flatscreen.

Scrydan: Oh, yes...I have enough experience with that, I daresay. *mischievous giggle* I think you do the same to me sometimes.

Emuz: Cool. You got any cheesecake?

imamelia
Posted on 09-21-12 08:18 PM, in Youtube gameplay vids Link | ID: 27008
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

My newest LP video. So far, in order, I've done LPs of:
- Mega Man 2 (normal mode)
- Super Mario World
- SMW Hacks 101
- Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
- Mega Man X6 (with X)
- Yoshi's Island
- Mega Man 8
- Super Mario RPG
- Mickey's Magical Quest (The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse)
- Mega Man X2
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Crash Bandicoot 2
- Mega Man 7

My channel also has several videos related to ROM hacking and several where I just played through part of a game, sometimes while making an announcement.

imamelia
Posted on 09-21-12 08:47 PM, in Wii U Link | ID: 27009
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

The Wii U, the first of the eighth-generation consoles, is supposed to be released on November 18, along with a variety of games, such as New Super Mario Bros. U. Here, you can discuss what you think of it and perhaps the games.

I actually pre-ordered a Wii U along with some extra stuff (a classic controller, charging cradle, and NSMBU)...which is quite unlike me. I never pre-order stuff, so that's the first time I did (along with the first time I've spent that much on video game stuff at one time). I'm glad I did, too...I checked at my local GameStop later, and they were sold out of pre-orders. Apparently my copy of New Super Mario Bros. U won't come in until the end of December, though, which is a pity...I'll have a Wii U sitting around in my house for a month and a half without being able to do much with it (although I could at least use it to play Wii games in my room during that time).

imamelia
Posted on 09-23-12 01:23 AM, in Emulator key bindings (rev. 2 of 09-23-12 01:32 AM by imamelia) Link | ID: 27116
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

My preferred setup for the SNES is something like this:

F1 -> decrement savestate slot
F2 -> save state
F3 -> increment savestate slot
F4 -> load state
Tab -> fast-forward

E -> Up
S -> Left
D -> Down
F -> Right
G -> Select
H -> Start
I -> X
J -> Y
K -> B
L -> A
R or W -> L
U or R -> R

Actually, I haven't decided on L and R...I used to use W for L and R for R, but I decided that using R and U was closer to a SNES controller layout (even if it might not actually be easier to use), so...I don't know. For consoles with fewer buttons, obviously some of them won't be used (on NES emulators, for example, I'd have the four directions plus J for B and K for A). For consoles with more buttons, I'd add a few more, such as 2 and 4 for L2 and R2 (I haven't done any PlayStation emulation since switching L and R) or I, O, P, and L for the N64's C buttons. Occasionally, there will be others as well; I generally use F11 for screenshots and some of the unused number or Fn keys for things like disabling SPC channels and hardware layers on emulators that support such things. But that's the basic layout.

imamelia
Posted on 09-23-12 01:31 AM, in So, plumber or hedgehog? Link | ID: 27117
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

Mario. It might just be because I grew up with a SNES and the first five and a half Mario games (Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3, The Lost Levels, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island), for all I know. I've never owned any Sega consoles. But when I finally did try the first couple of Sonic games on the PlayStation 2 remake, I couldn't really get into them. I didn't like the discrepancy between having the ability to go so fast and not actually being able to do so without running into things, not being able to make very precise movements. If I'd played it on a Genesis, though, a bigger problem would have been the lack of ability to save. The PS2 version, oddly, seems to have a sort of built-in savestate system, which is nice, because I hate not having save points. (That's also a big reason why I consider the SNES versions of SMB1-3 better than the original NES versions.)

One thing I will say, though, is that it's REALLY annoying when people put down fans of the other series. I haven't experienced much of that firsthand, but I've heard stories. There's nothing wrong with somebody liking different games; ehck, there's nothing wrong with somebody playing both.

imamelia
Posted on 09-23-12 02:08 AM, in Emulator annoyances Link | ID: 27118
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

A few that come to mind:

ZSNES: I just kind of don't like ZSNES in general, but the main reason is because of its poor accuracy. And that is all I will say here, since going into any more detail could very well be taken as trolling by bringing in arguments from other forums.
SNES9X: I don't like how you can't set shortcut keys for disabling sound channels. (It has the function to do so, but why are they in a drop-down menu...with no checkboxes?) Its cheat system is also really weird, I find. I don't know what it is, but I have never gotten the hang of SNES9X's cheat system, and I can use both ZSNES's and bsnes's just fine.
bsnes: For some reason, the newer versions (possibly older ones as well) keep erasing my long-term savestates. I have no idea why. I'm also not a fan of the interface for the newer versions of the debugger; I use 0.91 for playing but 0.72 for debugging. (And speaking of debuggers, why on earth did byuu choose to show the values of most hardware registers in decimal?!)
ePSXe: Setting up plugins. Just...setting up plugins. In some versions, there are a buttload of different ones to choose from with as many options, and you never know if a particular combination will work until you test several games on it. It's just annoying, tedious trial and error.
Project64: ZSNES may have poor emulation, but Project64 goes several levels beyond that. I don't think I've played a game yet (except maybe SM64) that actually worked properly on it...and the worst part is, it's the only N64 emulator out there, at least that I know of.
Any emulator: Severe limits on savestate count. Most emulators at least have 9 or 10, bsnes has 37, and ZSNES has 100, but ePSXe, for one, has only 5. Sorry, but...NOT ENOUGH. And speaking of savestates, I hate not being able to configure savestate keys. It's okay for me if they're the same as the ones that I normally use (although I still wouldn't advocate for it), but when they're different (F5-F8, for instance), or worse, one key off from what I normally use...! Once again using ePSXe as an example, its savestate keys are F1 for save, F2 for increment, and F3 for load, which is one to the left of what I normally use. Needless to say, I've had a number of times where, upon switching from it to another emulator or vice versa, I pressed the wrong key and rage ensued. Darn you, muscle memory! Actually, not being able to remap shortcut keys in general drives me nuts. When they do that with buttons that actually affect the game itself (left, right, A, and B, for example), it makes it so bad for me as to be practically unplayable, although I guess I've only ever seen fangames do that, not emulators. And of course, any emulator that my system can't handle (such as Dolphin) will be annoying to use.

imamelia
Posted on 09-23-12 04:19 AM, in Video game annoyances Link | ID: 27121
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

I actually made lists of my most hated video game mechanics, inspired by some Top X lists that some guy did on YouTube. I was planning on doing videos with mine, too. I won't list them all, but just a few that I could mention (not in order of severity) include:

- When something is hidden in a place or manner that is all but impossible to find without a guide of some kind. This one, unfortunately, seems to show up in nearly EVERY game to some degree.
- Auto-scrolling. I'm not going to say all auto-scrolling levels are bad (I didn't mind Ripsaw Rage in DKC3 or 5-9 in SMB3, for example), but I can think of a whole lot more that range from somewhat annoying to an utter nightmare.
- Limited or nonexistent checkpoints or save points. I know, I'm a spoiled young whippersnapper who's used to having things too easy, but plenty of games that I know perfectly well would have the capacity to save (even the NES has 8 KB of save RAM) don't allow it.
- Double-tap dash in Mega Man games. I've accidentally dashed into things in some of the later Mega Man X games because of this, and it's really annoying that this is the only way to activate Bass's dash in the GBA version of Mega Man & Bass (I don't own the SNES version...yet).
- The Mini Mushroom in the original New Super Mario Bros. I don't mind it quite as much in NSMB2 and NSMBWii for the main reason why I hate it so much in the first place: it is required for way too many secrets in the game. This would be bad enough if it were something like the Fire Flower, but that is at least easier to use. The Mini Mushroom is tricky enough to use, and uncommon enough, that it's quite a pain in the butt to have to use one for so many secrets in the game.
- Motion controls in Wii games that absolutely should not need them (or just when some things actually would require them but others don't). Donkey Kong Country Returns is a big offender of this...why the heck do I need to shake the Wii remote to roll-jump, ground-pound, blow, etc.?! New Super Mario Bros. Wii had some things that make sense with motion controls (those tilting platforms) and others that most certainly do not (I have to shake the remote to spin-jump...nay, just to pick up an item?! Just...what.)
- The save system in the original Crash Bandicoot. This is about the worst save system I've ever seen in a video game short of having no ability to save at all.

As far as specific levels or areas go, some that come to mind include:

- 9-4 in NSMBWii. 9-7 is probably the most infamous level from that game, but I actually thought 9-4 was even worse. (Auto-scroll...ugh...) 2-4 and 8-4 from the same game were also pretty brutal.
- 6-5 in Yoshi's Island, and just about all of the Extra stages. I hate when video game designers "reward" you for your hard work collecting items for completion points with secret levels that are utterly unfun.
- Donkey Kong Country 2, Animal Antics, the Squawks/brambles section. Until I figured out a better way to handle it during my LP of DKC2, that one part would just kick my butt many, many times every time I got to that point in the game. The sad thing is, I actually quite like the rest of the level. Ripcurl Reef in the GBA version of DKC3 is similar (and for an entire level, no less...why exactly does that level even exist?). There's also the second part of Screech's Sprint in DKC2 and *shudder* 6-K in DKCR, among others.
- Either of the Boss Bass levels in SMB3 (3-3 and 3-8), along with 7-4 and the airship in World 8. 8-3 in SMB1 is probably even worse.
- Any of the motorcycle levels in Crash Bandicoot 3 (Warped). The normal races are bad enough (there isn't much of a margin of error), but the gems and Relics? UGH. There's also Fumbling in the Dark from the first game, which is the only Crash Bandicoot level (in the original four platformers) that I haven't beaten.
- Eirin's stage in MegaMari. MegaMari is generally a brutally difficult game overall, but Eirin's stage is nasty even by those standards.

imamelia
Posted on 09-23-12 04:20 AM, in What Are You Playing Now? Link | ID: 27122
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and New Super Mario Bros. (In the case of the latter, this is the first time I've played it on a real console, albeit a 3DS rather than a DS.)

imamelia
Posted on 09-26-12 05:58 AM, in Youtube gameplay vids Link | ID: 27221
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

Super Mario Land 2 blind run. This is the only video I have made for it so far.

imamelia
Posted on 09-27-12 01:18 AM, in Youtube gameplay vids Link | ID: 27243
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

I used Camtasia Studio 7.1.

imamelia
Posted on 10-12-12 02:31 PM, in The New Super Mario Bros. 2 - SMB3 fun time, or Captalist running raccoon-dog? Link | ID: 28018
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

I actually liked it better than the original New Super Mario Bros (although probably not better than the Wii one). The coin gimmick was pretty pointless, though...it's fun at first, but it kind of loses its novelty after a while, and there's no way in heck I'm going for the million coins (yes, I do already know what you get for it). There weren't many levels that stood out to me, though, which is a double-edged sword: On one hand, there wasn't much in the way of "That One Level", but on the other hand, there wasn't much in the way of levels that I really liked either. Of course, NSMBWii had a substantial number of the former (2-4, 6-6, 8-4, 9-4, 9-7) and about the only good example of the latter I can think of is 8-7...but eh, whatever. I also thought the secret worlds were rather weak. Overall, though, definitely a game worth getting. And yes, I'm sick of the whining as well. True, the only other time we've gotten two Mario games that are so similar without being outright remakes are with SMB1 and The Lost Levels, but would you rather have a game that's too similar or no game at all? Mega Man games are all nearly identical to their predecessors, and I've never heard complaints about them. And I, for one, never get sick of Mega Man or Mario. I'm definitely looking forward to New Super Mario Bros. U, too...only 37 days left! (Unless GameStop had to place me on a later order because the first one was sold out...)

Main - Posts by imamelia

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.070 seconds. (777KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 134, rows: 483/513, time: 0.053 seconds.