Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,987,154
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
04-19-24 09:44 PM
Guest: Register | Login

Main - Posts by AileenLumina

Pages: 1 2

AileenLumina
Posted on 07-02-16 11:01 AM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS (rev. 5 of 06-09-17 12:14 PM by AileenLumina) Link | ID: 90733
Normal User

Octorok

Level: 11

EXP: 4820
Next: 1165

Since: 05-07-16

Last post: 2131 days
Last view: 2129 days
It's about time that we move on to a more modern and professional coding language. That's why I decided to start rewriting Arisotura's Acmlmboard XD fork in Python 3 on top of the Django framework using the Jinja2 template engine instead of Django's. Django is a very professional web framework that allows for fast and efficient coding, and it's becoming more and more popular since ~2009.

The goal of this software project is to have a clean, efficient and well-written board software that amazes both admins and users.

I made this thread mainly to tell the world about it, and to ask if anyone is interested in contributing to a powerful and beautiful board software. Just leave a reply telling me what you're good at if you feel like helping out and contributing a bit. :)

Feel free to post questions and opinions too, of course. :)

Let me introduce a new message board software: Lunarboard.

Lunarboard is a message board software inspired by the greatest ideas of social networks, blog platforms and message board software that already exist. It combines the best ideas and finds clever ways to push them to the next level. Lunarboard combines instant messages, blogs, showcases, discussions, collaboration, communities and social interaction in a beautiful, responsive, intuitive and powerful application you and your visitors will love to use.

Configurable: Permissions

Users can be added to one or multiple user group(s). You are able to fine tune the permissions for each user and group. You can define exactly who can do what, and where. We try our best to keep the permission system easy to understand and intuitive to use.

Customisable: Themes

Users can create and submit their own themes. A powerful theme creator helps with creating beautiful themes that are a joy to look at. Themes can also be configurable, meaning that users could, for instance, choose from a list of predefined colour palettes or backgrounds. Advanced themes can also contain JavaScript to, for instance, render WebGL rain in the background of the page.

Personal: Post designs and multiple avatars

Users can create post designs that change how their posts look like. They can create a number of these post designs, and you can specify a maximum. When users submit a post, they can assign one of their post designs and one of their avatars (as they can have multiple) to the post. Every user is able to disable post designs if they prefer a consistent look and feel.

Social: User Blogs

Users can have their own personal space to talk about any topic. This is of course configurable in the permissions system.

Responsive: Bootstrap and ReactJS

Lunarboard uses the most popular web styling framework, Bootstrap. This results in 100% responsiveness and beautiful pages you will love to browse. The usage of ReactJS results in consistently great performance. This combination means standards compliance with the modern web across the major web browsers. In short: Lunarboard will always look beautiful and perform well, no matter which of the major web browsers your visitors may use.

Flexible: Django ORM

Lunarboard is built on top of Django. This means it is compatible with various database management systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite and many more. You have the freedom to choose the database management system you prefer.

Extendable: Plugin System

Plugins can extend the functionality of Lunarboard by extending its data structure, executing logic when a certain event happens (e.g. a new user was created, or a post that contains a certain word was posted, etc.), and adding new pages, or extending already existing ones (if they define places where plugins can add their widgets).

Easy Development: RESTful API

Lunarboard’s RESTful API allows developers to interact with Lunarboard easily. There is an extensive, auto-generated API documentation that tells you in a simple way how to use each API endpoint.

Rewarding & Fun: XP System, Economy and Games

(This system is fully optional as it consists of plugins.)
Users earn XP (“Experience Points”) for submitting posts and chatting with others. Basically, they get rewarded for being active. Every time they gather a certain amount of XP, they “level up”. Users can also earn virtual money which they can spend on virtual items. These items can then be used in games. The higher the level of a user, the better the items they can purchase in the shop. Games can be added by plugins, as well as methods of earning XP and virtual money.

Secure: Spam and Flood Prevention

Lunarboard allows for the use of reCaptcha, the current industry standard for preventing automated bots from registering accounts. StopForumSpam prevents known spammers from registering accounts.

Informative: Analytics

Admins can view where visitors are coming from, how they were referred to your site and what parts of your site they visit the most. Plugins can add data that can be displayed on the analytics panel.

Other features include:

- Special pages
- Upvotes/downvotes (both optional)
- Instant messaging
- Notifications
- Custom BBCode
- Polls/Surveys
- User file storage
- Embedded Imgur/Pastebin/etc. uploaders
- Reports, warnings, temporary bans, permanent bans, IP bans

Join the discussions on the Lunarboard Discord server.

Feel free to tell me your opinions!

AileenLumina
Posted on 07-02-16 12:56 PM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS Link | ID: 90737
Normal User

Octorok

Hehe, thanks a lot! :)

I'm hoping I will be able to draw some interest to this project. ^-^

AileenLumina
Posted on 07-03-16 03:23 PM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS Link | ID: 90751
Normal User

Octorok

Hm, I'm not really sure why you're stating that. I consider a coding language that is serious and powerful while also being relatively easy to learn "professional". :)

Just to name a few: Dropbox, Pinterest, Reddit and Quora are having their backends written in Python.

It may be too slow for large-scale, power-hungry projects like, for instance, games, and the lack of static typing makes it hard to manage for bigger projects. (Did you mean that with your statement? If not, please explain it to me as it may be something I have overlooked when checking the pros and cons in order to determine what language to rewrite Blargboard in (I also had Ruby on Rails and Perl in mind). :) ) I admit that; still, I don't think it's "not professional". "Its design philosophy emphasizes code readability, and its syntax allows programmers to express concepts in fewer lines of code than would be possible in languages such as C++ or Java." (Wikipedia) In my opinion, Python is more modern and beautiful than most other coding languages.

AileenLumina
Posted on 07-04-16 06:53 PM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS Link | ID: 90774
Normal User

Octorok

Some words about shibboleet's statement first. :)

With his statement, he just wanted to say that people usually write non-professional code from what he knows. (I hope I remembered that correctly; he told me on IRC.) Well, one could argue about that but that would go a bit beyond this thread's topic I think. ^^

shan Oh, hi... Do we know each other? ^^

I don't have an exact list of features I want to implement; that means I'm open to any suggestions. :) (I do have some things in mind though, like for example a very powerful Post Layout Creator (which will have many more features than the Layout Maker plugin of ABXD ;), a similar Theme Creator and a more powerful Theme Engine). I'll try to allow anyone without any coding knowledge to enjoy pyCuccoboard in its entirety, that's what I want to achieve. ^^

AileenLumina
Posted on 07-05-16 05:26 PM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS (rev. 4 of 07-09-16 06:09 PM by AileenLumina) Link | ID: 90801
Normal User

Octorok

First off, I'm going to write a completely new permissions system from scratch. I have lots of people to ask for ideas and help, all of whom have experience with such systems.

The database will be rewritten as well, but there'll be a simple upgrade.php that updates the Blargboard db for you, although user-specific permissions will likely be lost.

What I can tell for sure is that userperms and primarygroupperms (and maybe even secondarygroupperms) will be seperated. Also, the entire database will be "third normal form" conform.

I will make use OOP (a lot; heck, it's so easy to do in Python ^^), three layer architecture, and well, all the other good practices whenever they make sense (e.g. PEP8, recursion and all that).

Arisotura, with professional code, I meant code that is clean, easy to read and efficient, and with "professional language", I was referring to Python's serious attempt at and their professional way of realizing their language design model. As a result of that, we as the coders are given a very easy-to-understand yet still very powerful language that eases writing professional code (recursion is taking over :p).

Maybe an idea to get both flexibility and accessibility would be to give every permission a column (type would be tinyint(1)) and default those to NULL, thus: NULL = Neutral, 0 = Deny, 1 = Allow (If that's possible; if it's not, I'd need to do tinyint(2) as the type). That would result in faster SELECTing than if it was a bitmask (assuming that bitmask is stored as a VARCHAR).

Arisotura, with the statement you quoted I rather wanted to say that it's not unprofessional. It was more meant to deny shibboleet's statement. :)

The way I code is, uhm, very prototype-ish? I love to keep everything clean and maintain the readability and accessibility of the entire project yet I also want to keep everything as efficient as possible. I'm what people call a perfectionist, at most things. I'm always striving for the one, best, and (more-or-less) obvious solution. That's also why Python is a perfect fit for me (heck, I was able to learn Python in less than half a day (actually it was 11h 40min :p)). I know about the importance of many coding practices and habits but I think I also know when to go out of my usual path to either accomplish a better readability/accessibility or improve efficiency or whatever. I have really little experience but I'm learning really fast and have a great understanding of how IT works.

Sorry for the messy reply. ^^

AileenLumina
Posted on 07-23-16 01:56 PM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS (rev. 2 of 07-23-16 01:56 PM by AileenLumina) Link | ID: 91053
Normal User

Octorok

Comparing a bit to 0, 1 and NULL is unmeasurably fast so I'm not really sure if I got your statement the right way, shibboleet.

I'm really sure about that I will write a new permission system from scratch. I didn't even start with the database model yet though; I'll tackle the very core stuff first and practise coding in Python/Django. :)

Also, there's still various decisions to be made:

I am planning to use a CSS framework because using frameworks seems like a good practice to me ("Don't reinvent the wheel"). So, I'm wondering which one to choose: Semantic UI, Foundation or Bootstrap?

Oh, JavaScript stuff will mostly be rewritten in Python too (see Brython) if the benchmarks are showing good results.

Another thing I want to do is saving the version with all the bbcode replaced and all alongside the pre-rendered version in the database to speed up loading a lot and reduce the amount of queries. I'm not sure if I overlooked a vulnerability this causes though...

And a more dirficult thing: the licence. I can't decide between BSD, Simplified BSD and MIT. Any advice would be appreciated as I have zero experience with licensing. :)

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-02-17 04:42 PM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. Link | ID: 97288
Normal User

Octorok

Title says it all. Figured I might as well join this while I'm here, haven't been too active here since I registered. ^^'

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-02-17 05:24 PM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS Link | ID: 97289
Normal User

Octorok

Bumping this because I will work on this again now. A number of things have changed as I gained a lot of experience during the last few months. For instance: Forget about that Brython thing lmao

Here's a quick rundown of what I want to implement:

Lunarboard is a Python board software in the making that is inspired by Blargboard, Xenforo, IP.BB, an old Facebook version and Discord. It uses Bootstrap, ReactJS, Django and Wagtail. It can be run on any web server that can run Python web apps and either a MySQL server, a PostgreSQL server or SQLite (which can be run on anything that can run Python). Things you'll love:

The versatility. There are numerous powerful BBCodes that enhance how you can write and design your posts. The permission system allows for fine-grained permission settings that can be set for each individual category, thread/topic, role or user. You can also create your own roles, just like you can on Discord. There will also be a "chat box" like on Facebook that allows you to chat with other users while you browse the forums.

The polish. Everything is built with user-friendliness in mind. For instance, there will be a post design maker and a theme designer, and useful tips whenever you may need them (which you can of course turn off at anytime), and there will be nice CSS3 animations (which you can also turn off), and WebGL-based themes are also possible.

The customisability. Users can submit their own themes, they can use multiple mood avatars (like in Blargboard). Also, themes can be customised by the user. For instance, a theme can offer multiple colour palettes or backgrounds which you can choose from, etc. In addition to that, users can create their own post layouts, like in Blargboard, except they can have many, and choose which one they want to use whenever they submit a post.

Every user can also have a personal "timeline" where they can post whatever they want, as that's their personal space. Users can also upload images or entire galleries and embed them in their posts (this can be disabled in the board's settings or restricted using the permissions system). It is also possible to enable various layouts for the board. For instance, you can set a category to be displayed using a blog layout. That being said, Lunarboard can also be used as a CMS this way. In the background, blog posts still remain forum posts and can be viewed in the forum view and replied to just like in any board software.

I think that's all for now. Let me know what you think!

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 03:06 PM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. (rev. 2 of 04-03-17 03:08 PM by AileenLumina) Link | ID: 97297
Normal User

Octorok

@Swingball: My day was pretty much alright. I've played a bit of BotW, written some stuff about Lunarboard, and yeah, that's pretty much it.

@ゼンガー・ゾンボルト: I think it's not up to date. ^^'

@Dani: I don't have a favourite breed, but I love catgirls, if you accept that as a valid answer. :3 and some catboys too, but only the cute ones x3

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 07:50 PM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. Link | ID: 97301
Normal User

Octorok

Yeah, wellll xD To be honest, I couldn't really call myself a coder until around August last year, I've only been doing minor edits of Blargboard before that. My first real program was actually a Java program that allows users to vote on music for a party. That was a school project. My first project that I've written in my free time was Dwarf, a Django-based Discord bot framework. So, I would say that I come from a Java, PHP and Python background. Most of the time, I'm developing in Python, though, or in JavaScript if I need to.

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 08:01 PM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. Link | ID: 97303
Normal User

Octorok

Is it? I don't know. I don't use it outside of school, however, and I hopefully will never have to use it outside of school. ^^' I don't like it, it feels so... rusty.

:')

Nah, Rust is a cool language. I think. Unlike Java.

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 09:26 PM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. Link | ID: 97305
Normal User

Octorok

Nah ^^ I'm not a fan of any celeb except maybe 김현중 (Kim Hyun Joong). :)

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 10:12 PM, in April KCS Rankings (4/30 - Who is going to host Super Bowl LVI?) Link | ID: 97311
Normal User

Octorok

Wait what, are you talking about me? >_<

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 10:28 PM, in April KCS Rankings (4/30 - Who is going to host Super Bowl LVI?) (rev. 2 of 04-03-17 10:29 PM by AileenLumina) Link | ID: 97314
Normal User

Octorok

"Wait who is the new girl? Is it ゼンガー・ゾンボルト? I knew it!"

"No "HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER" title?"

me starting to show up in those points tables

I'm not sure if I can trust you .-.

x3 ^^'

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 10:42 PM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. Link | ID: 97316
Normal User

Octorok

A full goddamn weapon bag.

Other than that, it smells like pure freedom.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild clearly is the best Zelda game I've played so far, and definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-03-17 11:07 PM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. Link | ID: 97319
Normal User

Octorok

A board that uses Acmlmboard 0.7? idk what else it could be

Pogyo? Maybe something like this? IDK ^^'

AileenLumina
Posted on 04-04-17 05:07 AM, in Feel free to AMA, I guess. (rev. 3 of 04-04-17 05:08 AM by AileenLumina) Link | ID: 97331
Normal User

Octorok

I found this place because it was linked in StapleButter's signature on rvlution.net . ^^

A basic question sentence consisting of a question word, a form of the verb "to be", a demonstrative pronoun and a noun.

Neither, I'm not into sports. :3

AileenLumina
Posted on 05-04-17 11:01 PM, in Lunarboard - Rewrite of StapleButter's ABXD fork in Python3/Django/Wagtail with Bootstrap + ReactJS Link | ID: 97599
Normal User

Octorok

Here's a comparison of Lunarboard vs. Blargboard: Google Docs

AileenLumina
Posted on 06-18-18 11:48 PM, in Regarding the situation (rev. 3 of 06-18-18 11:49 PM by AileenLumina) Link | ID: 133970
Normal User

Octorok

Yup, fiver and Jamie shittalking me behind my back as always.

If you thought Jamie had improved by now, he just proved to the world that he apparently did not. How so? Because he still can't get over the fact I broke up with him years ago, after which he decided to try to unleash hell onto me, in an attempt to convince all or most of my friends in the communities we share(d) that I'm a manipulative asshole and a grooming pedophile. Which I am not, as he very well knows as he knows my real age, how I look like irl, etc. - we were in a relationship, after all. Now he still tries to twist facts and spread lies about me to ruin my reputation or w/e. He also tried to pull this off on kuribo64.net earlier this year. I am honestly very tired of dealing with this and I would appreciate if the mods would at least not allow people to call other members of the board "creeps" or whatever, as I understand that this is a situation where you might not be able to clearly determine who says the truth and who doesn't.

AileenLumina
Posted on 06-19-18 11:42 AM, in Regarding the situation Link | ID: 133975
Normal User

Octorok

Yup, that was pretty, pretty dumb of me. My intentions were much better than my actions, but that was a pretty stupid thing of me to do, and I already apologized for that a few times. Though, Jamie did know the truth, so... idk. Also, I broke up because I couldn't deal with Jamie anymore. Nobody else influenced my decision there, from what I can tell (and recall).
Pages: 1 2

Main - Posts by AileenLumina

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.099 seconds. (814KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 237, rows: 519/550, time: 0.074 seconds.