Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 9,015,075
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
04-28-24 12:31 PM
Guest: Register | Login

Main - Posts by Scrydan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 04:32 AM, in What'd you do today? Link | ID: 21180
Normal User
Scryforce - A place that still exists. Neat.
Level: 86

EXP: 5954997
Next: 187110

Since: 07-18-12

Last post: 775 days
Last view: 757 days
Well, it isn't so much what I did today as I did this night.
I took a look at some dev code after my dev status update in an effort to understand what all there is to learn about this version so that I might become even more useful around here. ;)

Expect some awesome new things to come to a AB2.5 near you. I don't want to give the surprise away so I'll just state that it is something a lot of people may quite enjoy.
I'll fix some things along the way first as it is pretty big and may take some time. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. I may just lose sleep over it.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 06:20 AM, in More functions for stuff (like error messages) Link | ID: 21183
Normal User

I've noticed long ago in an early AB2 version I have that most of the error messages we see are just by print outs. There's also some other examples I have that could turn certain code into functions so we don't have to rewrite code over and over again.

I looked at current code and some of my examples still hold true as does error messages.
In addition, we could also have error messages that instead of "{error table} die" we could also redirect to a form and have a error message in red that states all the problems with the form.

We could also work on a permissioncheck/existing one and make it automatically use this new error message function. If we (still) have a userlog or use it the way I do, we could make it log attempted access if deemed necessary.

I felt like bringing this thread up since some more functions still need to be created. Heck, could use this thread to list a todo of functions needed? However, lots of improvements can be seen so good work everyone. Functions are so fun. If this has been discussed before (I checked but I didn't really see much) then feel free to ignore but I felt like bringing this up.

I'll edit this with some more of the examples I mean. Can't seem to find my list of things related to here. hehe

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 06:30 AM, in What's on your mind? Link | ID: 21184
Normal User

I sort of figured that sleep was on my mind since I actually was thinking of it before I posted it but it depends on how you see it I guess. I did post a dream so I guess it is 50/50. ;)

Anyways, currently thinking of all the things I need to do tomorrow in order to prepare for my sacrificial alter for some fun coding I plan to do.
I also am looking forward to writing my story as it has been on my mind for a long time.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 12:38 PM, in ABII: Bugfixes and Code Fragments Link | ID: 21189
Normal User

I already viewed the announcements. Huh, so probably one of the two best courses of action is probably seeing the code looking for these "posts" and make it not look for them/ ignore the NEW status or mark read code being used in announcements.

Not sure what would be the best though. Maybe the latter so you know when an announcement isn't read yet?

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 02:17 PM, in July KCS Rankings (7/31 - Certainly the icing on the cake?) Link | ID: 21197
Normal User

Someone must be hungry each time. Which in turn makes me hungry and want said items more.
Is it a conspiracy? We may never know.

I just realized I haven't eaten anything in a long time. I probably should take care of that.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 03:47 PM, in Board code stylization (PHP and MySQL) Link | ID: 21206
Normal User

Alright, so I've spoken with Emuz and I think it is time we get this under wraps.
People code differently and have different styles, that's a fact. While we may have similarities, without some kind of template, we will see quite a bit of clashes.

Therefore I decided to create this thread as a way for us to discuss templates relating to all code and queries. Once we get this discussed enough, we should make an effort to rewrite all scripts that violates the discussed template we all agree with.

So with that said, let's begin discussion. Everything from the below is how I write code and is purely opinion based. You may share your own and discuss pros and cons to it.

Loops

Each loop for me usually is always bracketed, regardless of it being needed. I do this so it is easy to tell where it ends and begins without much looking. I also space out the brackets to make them match each other in depth so you can easily trace it in larger loops. The brackets often are one character spaced past the beginning of the loop (not shown, they begin on the f of if)

if ($somevar == "thisismadness")
{
$madness = "This is PHP!";
}

Capitalization

In my opinion, having anything not lowercased is more trouble than it is worth. For some reason any variables with capitalization just bothers me. I understand it can help you see bigger variable names but for that, I just use _. Should you accidentally screw up on capitalization, it will screw with you while you ponder at why perfect code isn't working.

//To be honest, I'd still more likely user $iphistory than the below but this is if you must feel the need to make it stand out.
$ip_history = $whatever; //versus $IpHistory or $ipHistory

Spacing

Much of the older code lacks this. You will see stuff like this.

if($user[email]){
//something
}

//sometimes like this
if($user[email]){ //something }

Which should be spaced in my opinion like so.

if ($user['email'])
{
//something
}

It may not be too much of a problem with one loop but when you see 5 loops back to back with this, it just looks like a mess to me. Only my opinion though. (Also, variable arrays like that should have ' ' in the name of that part of the array.)

Printing/Echoing

I've seen this a few times in code.

$shoplist.="
". " $L[TR] class=\"sfont\">
". " $L[TD1] width=70>$shop[name]</td>
". " $L[TD2]><a href="shop.php?action=desc&id=".$eq[ª".$shop[id]]."'>".$items[$eq['eq'.$shop[id]]][name]."</a>&nbsp;</td>
". " </tr>";
$shoplist .= "</table>";

I feel that there's too many "breaks" in that string when it could all just be like this.

$shoplist .= "
$L[TR] class=\"sfont\">
$L[TD1] width=\"70\">".htmlspecialchars($shop['name'])."</td>
$L[TD2]><a href="\"shop.php?action=desc&id=".$eq[".$shop[id]]."\">".$items[$eq['eq'.$shop[id]]][name]."</a>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</table>";

I also notice many times some inconsistencies when HTML is used.

<link rel='stylesheet' href="css/abI.css?tz=-18000&minover= µº"><link href="lib/prettify/sunburst.css" type='text/css' rel='stylesheet' />
<script type='text/javascript' src="lib/prettify/prettify.js‚ÙmþÇ+Š›`µº"></head>
<body style=font-size:68% onload="prettyPrint()">
<table cellspacing=0 class=c1>
<td align=center class="b n1" colspan=3>

The heading alone shows this. There are times where no quotes are used for elements, there are times single quotes are used, then double quotes.

I usually just use double quotes myself and single if it is a javascript function. It isn't too important but it would be neat to get this also template stylized as well.

I think there's more to show than what I have here but I will bring it up as needed. Please discuss what styles you use and such.
We should try to come up with a more unified style so we don't have conflicts. :)

I'll edit this post to bring up more examples. Also we need to discuss MySQL stylization a bit too. Too many times I've seen `example` be used and then other times it lacks ``.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 03:54 PM, in Two Thousand for Trelior! Link | ID: 21207
Normal User

I'm going to be a rebel and vote 1. Keep posting! You posting helps me post more too.
All according to plan indeed, haha.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 03:56 PM, in All your question are belong to Nicole. Ha ha ha. Link | ID: 21208
Normal User

What is currently on your wishlist of most wanted items?

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 05:12 PM, in Kafuka's CitiHall: "Scattered before you there are three tomes.." Link | ID: 21211
Normal User

Well on the bright side I didn't miss them. :P
Although I wish I had joined sooner so I could have done more around here. Yes I would be interested in them for sure.
Probably will need another few months for me to be more known though. The lurking for a long time sure didn't help.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 10:31 PM, in July KCS Rankings (7/31 - Certainly the icing on the cake?) Link | ID: 21219
Normal User

YES! I have tried some. Hot Chocolate is just something I can drink all the time almost and mint is awesome. Put the two together and you got a delicious beverage. Are you trying to get me a larger grocery list? Because it is working.

And it looks like I'm still climbing those ranks. I wanna be the guy! :P

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 10:37 PM, in Board code stylization (PHP and MySQL) Link | ID: 21220
Normal User

I can agree with it making the code a bit more bloated and add extra lines. However, it does allow me to see it easier. So it really does depend I suppose.

About the `, I ironically when I first started programming in PHP and MySQL, I didn't know what made that on the keyboard so I copied and pasted from existing ones. Haha. I was so dumb silly back long ago.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 10:42 PM, in Board code stylization (PHP and MySQL) Link | ID: 21222
Normal User

I never use $user["email"] as that bothers me. I leave double quotes for strings and HTML elements.
I mainly use single quotes for $user['email'] as it looks better. And it is depreciated I believe as well to not have quotes.

So if we aren't going to use `` in queries then we might as well make sure all of them look the part. I'm all for middle grounds as long as all the code looks the same but looks good and is efficient. ;)

Scrydan
Posted on 07-21-12 10:50 PM, in Board code stylization (PHP and MySQL) (rev. 2 of 07-21-12 10:50 PM by Scrydan) Link | ID: 21225
Normal User

Then I suppose we should try to always use them then. At least for consistency sake. I always do so myself so it is nothing new for me.

Edit: Even if I have to be the one to edit all the queries, I will. I can be determined. XD

Scrydan
Posted on 07-22-12 07:29 AM, in July KCS Rankings (7/31 - Certainly the icing on the cake?) (rev. 2 of 07-22-12 07:32 AM by Scrydan) Link | ID: 21238
Normal User

I decided to read through all the display cased old KSC ranking threads. Good times...that I missed. I am making up for lost time.
I may have registered a bit late this month but by the power vested in my keyboard, I will rank high legitimately this month! I'm fairly active naturally so it shouldn't be a problem.

If I get 10 first places, I may get second(?). Either way, I'm surprised how well I'm doing. I'll get 100 posts soon at this rate.
Next month though, expect some fierce posting competition. I will break the combo of firsts you ranked up all these months, Epele. I'm sure you can miss out on just one. ;)

It is 2 AM for me and I'm posting this. I feel like it is just another day for a programmer. Staying up late, not getting sleep. What else is new? I'm getting hungry now. I should sleep but I can't. I should go make something to eat. I better not forget it and wake up to the smell of burning. I wouldn't want to do something a certain someone did and posted about long ago in a hidden forum far away. I wonder if anyone can remember that one post I happen to be referring to.

Edit: My mathing leads me to believe I might get third instead or something. It is late. Blame the programmer's curse.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-22-12 07:36 AM, in ABII: Old Todos (Last edit 7/22/2012) (rev. 2 of 07-22-12 07:41 AM by Scrydan) Link | ID: 21239
Normal User

I'm thinking about making a list in the OP listing who all is working on what currently.

Or should that be in another thread? Could help to see who's working on what from a quick glance.

Edit: If it goes on in another thread, which? Should we make a "general code chat" thread or something? Just throwing lots of ideas out there.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-22-12 07:44 AM, in July KCS Rankings (7/31 - Certainly the icing on the cake?) Link | ID: 21241
Normal User

I won't go softly in the night either. My sleep won't let me. You would have to figure out a way to put me to sleep. I'd actually thank you for it too. :P

Wait, I forgot to eat still. How am I forgetting? Am I a machine now?

Scrydan
Posted on 07-22-12 08:53 AM, in Autism and other mental disorders Link | ID: 21242
Normal User

I asked Emuz if it was okay to add to this thread since it has been awhile since last posted in so I'll add my input on the topic.

I have what I'd call a highly functioning case of Aspergers. As a kid, I was quite hyper and doctors just assumed I was also Autistic since I was a bit...different. I had such a little attention span I believe back then too. I used to take a lot of medicine which pretty much zombfied me. I even didn't eat much because of the stupid pills. Eventually my mother just gave up on the pills and would rather see me "normal". I would say I used to be quite slow to reading people back long ago.

However, I would used to draw all the time and make up adventures. These adventures would eventually lead up to what I'm writing today. However, one day there was some a-hole who was jealous of this one drawing of a huge mountain range behind a village with a river flowing in the middle. He decided to scribble all over it. It had quite an effect on me. I then tended to stay away from people who would disrupt my creative processes but that's not the only reason.

Ever since my mom remarried, I moved from school to school almost every year because of my stepdad. Me being as slow as I was with making friends, this made it even harder to develop social skills. Eventually I just built some sort of defense mechanism that prevented me from being too attached to people.

I'm not sure why but rarely did people breach this barrier I made for myself. Until many years later. I was a freshman at the time in high school and this one fairly nice senior sent me what would be my first ever, love note. This was quite a shock to me. I wasn't used to other people. I didn't get notes of any sort during class. We soon began passing notes whenever possible. I used to have an archive of them but I lost them after my mom passed away back in Nov 2008.

Which leads me to the next phrase of my life which doctors correctly identified it as Aspergers. A few months before 2008, I took some more tests for the first time since 10 years. I think I was diagnosed at 4 or 5. And not much really changed but there wasn't so much insistence of pills from my stepdad. Who is okay but honestly he wasn't very understanding of my condition.

He was the infamous type who was like "tough it out" or you have no excuse for blah blah blah. He was kind at times but his understanding was little to none at all.

When my mother passed away on November 12, 2008 - which was the day before my birthday on the 13th - it sort of awoke me somewhat. It is hard to explain but I changed quite a bit that day. Within like 5 or 6 hours, my dad shown up at the house and surprised me. I didn't see him too much. He was hard working and lived with...well, I won't get into that.

That day changed him too and our family relationship. I came to live with him in Kansas, Olathe. Ironically, that is where I was born. But before then, the funeral. I was happy to see my dad but NOT LIKE THIS. I even remember a few nights ago wishing I could see him. I have nightmares sometimes that I caused this by wishing to see him. It is hard on people but it was quite harder to cop with in my mind. All my plans involving my mom gone. She wouldn't see me graduate from college or get married. I wouldn't be able to ask advice or other things. I was slow to read certain things but this...this was a changing point. I'm not sure what chemistry is involved but something happened after the funeral after I seen her lowered into the earth.

I slowly began to work past my typical problems and worked to talk more with people. I became inspired to write. The side of Aspergers that was beneficial shined. Within the next few years, I became the person who I am today.

Sadly even to this day I'm not free from all my old tribulations. After that day, I pretty much never seen my mother's side of the family again. I felt so isolated from them. Even my step sister hasn't really reached me. Worse is my stepfather didn't wait long to get remarried and was married within like a month or a week. Something about "God telling him to.". :/

My new stepmother (The old one he left because somehow all this happening somehow shaken some sense into him or something. She was never so receptive of me.) was much better and more understanding. However, she liked to push me whenever she gets a chance. She always tried to compare me to her son. Who to be honest, doesn't give a damn about nothing. The problem is, she keeps overlooking my problems she understands and keeps comparing me to her deadbeat son who has different problems. Sure he has his problems but mine are completely different and legit. He is just lazy and "needs anger management".

I once got a bit depressed over it among other things - she pushed me too hard in college - and she tried to get me on anti-depressants. At first I went with them...but then soon realized that they were causing more problems than it was worth. So I decided to ween myself off them slowly. I didn't want to become dependent on them. After about three weeks, I was back to my old self and better than ever. She is now to this day trying harder but to be honest, the only one who is closest to me is my Dad.

I'm much better off than I used to be and have a much better understanding of myself. What got me a bit depressed was lack of understanding of myself and some of my actions. My mind was clouded with little hope and a 80% chance of raining stress. I got over it long ago, almost a year ago, but I never want to get to that point again.

Sorry for that long *novel* of a post. I had a lot to say on the matter and told a little story and got carried away. It is quite late so excuse me if I ramble on a bit in the post.

Main point was:
Many people in my life didn't understand me that well.
Medicine for me in my opinion isn't the answer.
I was expected to pass others who didn't have my disability. Pushed as hard as I would go until possible depression.
I've changed a lot and learned to handle my disability a lot better.
Even better than learn, I'm using it as a way to tap into my creative side more so I can write and draw.
Being less shy and now because of all this, I'm here today not lurking.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-22-12 09:24 AM, in New member introduction thread! (rev. 2 of 07-22-12 09:26 AM by Scrydan) Link | ID: 21244
Normal User

Welcome to the site, GlitchMr. I hope you enjoy your stay.

(I feel followed. :P Perhaps you could say the same thing on the other site. Haha.)

Edit: Oh and I waited to post my reply so I can get a 2 or 3 second delay in. Super Greeter away!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102

Main - Posts by Scrydan

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.092 seconds. (1190KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 210, rows: 551/583, time: 0.069 seconds.