Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,986,377
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
04-19-24 03:52 AM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in The Officer's Club | 1 guest | 2 bots

Main - The Officer's Club - The reason I can't participate in discussions...
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Lili~ ♥
Posted on 07-01-12 07:44 PM Link | ID: 19223
Normal User
Queen Lesbian of Kafuka
Level: 159

EXP: 51678495
Next: 132262

Since: 01-06-12

Last post: 2747 days
Last view: 1269 days
Yeah, as some of you may know, I'm pretty much completely isolated in social life. There are multiple reasons to that, of course, some of which I explained, but there is one thing that is especially crippling:

Whenever I try to voice my opinion in a discussion, I seem to always get interrupted by someone else. As soon as I bring something up, someone else decides to just start speaking so I can barely say anything. This happens pretty much in every discussion with multiple people, and it always happens to me.

The same thing recently even happened while trying to order something in a store. Other customers always interrupted me, and... I never got to place my order.

My question, is it something with me? What am I doing wrong that everyone feels like interrupting me? Why is this happening?

Kawa
Posted on 07-01-12 07:51 PM Link | ID: 19224
Retired Staff

Not okay
Prophet of Celestia
Level: 93

EXP: 7993077
Next: 59733

Since: 01-01-12

Last post: 2021 days
Last view: 336 days
Obvious pony jokes aside, you really should get some assertiveness training.

Gohan
Posted on 07-01-12 07:56 PM Link | ID: 19225
Normal User

Level: 130

EXP: 25142155
Next: 588422

Since: 06-19-12

Last post: 2822 days
Last view: 2716 days

Posted by Liliana
Yeah, as some of you may know, I'm pretty much completely isolated in social life. There are multiple reasons to that, of course, some of which I explained, but there is one thing that is especially crippling:

Whenever I try to voice my opinion in a discussion, I seem to always get interrupted by someone else. As soon as I bring something up, someone else decides to just start speaking so I can barely say anything. This happens pretty much in every discussion with multiple people, and it always happens to me.

The same thing recently even happened while trying to order something in a store. Other customers always interrupted me, and... I never got to place my order.

My question, is it something with me? What am I doing wrong that everyone feels like interrupting me? Why is this happening?

Nothing is wrong with you, although I really wouldn't know I haven't seen you in person or anything at all. But AFAIK you're fine.

They're probably just a bunch of assholes that don't care about much of anything, just keep going on with your life and it will blow over eventually. I can't really give much advice towards this sort of thing considering I am pretty much always heard but some people choose to ignore my thoughts on some things.

But what I can tell you is if you really don't like it, do it to them and show them exactly what you put up with, perhaps? That or speak loudly maybe or try to get the attention of the person you're speaking to.

Nicole
Posted on 07-01-12 08:15 PM Link | ID: 19229
Administrator
Goddess of the Apocalypse
Level: 199

EXP: 111487864
Next: 1649220

Since: 01-03-12

Last post: 251 days
Last view: 250 days
1656 4489 16
I often feel in a similar way... (I was actually briefly on medicine for social anxiety, but I don't remember it having much of an effect)

I've noticed in my case a lot of it seems to be from my tone of voice; I tend to speak very quietly in such a way that is easily ignored, so maybe a way to get more attention would be to try and speak louder?

Epele
Posted on 07-01-12 11:46 PM Link | ID: 19258
Site Administrator
The Sorceress.
Boing~

Level: 235

EXP: 200661294
Next: 1264598

Since: 01-01-12

Last post: 835 days
Last view: 4 hours
Nicole's point of speaking louder holds true. I still have the same problem though, but it's somewhat more situational for me.

There's a two word phrase that can typically overpower most people who try to talk over you for their own gain. The phrase being "Excuse me?"

That.. usually works to shut people up and get them to listen if they're being rude. Else, it's just a matter of being loudest in group conversations at times.

The world could always use more heroes!

Gohan
Posted on 07-01-12 11:48 PM Link | ID: 19259
Normal User

Level: 130

EXP: 25142155
Next: 588422

Since: 06-19-12

Last post: 2822 days
Last view: 2716 days

Posted by Gywall
Nicole's point of speaking louder holds true.

I suggested it first. >_>

Posted by Rydia
That or speak loudly maybe or try to get the attention of the person you're speaking to.

..whelp..:/

Arisotura
Posted on 07-01-12 11:53 PM Link | ID: 19262
Developer
pancakes
Level: 83

EXP: 5408370
Next: 23851

Since: 01-05-12

Last post: 676 days
Last view: 215 days
However, trying to impose yourself can be seen as intrusive. That must be used wisely.

What I typically do when I don't manage to talk, is consider whether what I want to say is important or not. If it is, I'll try waiting for an appropriate blank and ensure noone starts talking over me, and speak loud enough. If it isn't, I'll just forget about it.

The number of people in the group also matters. Getting attention will be easier in smaller groups. You could perhaps try to choose your groups according to this...

want some revolution in your coffee?

Lili~ ♥
Posted on 07-03-12 09:03 PM Link | ID: 19438
Normal User
Queen Lesbian of Kafuka
Level: 159

EXP: 51678495
Next: 132262

Since: 01-06-12

Last post: 2747 days
Last view: 1269 days
Posted by Mega-Mario
The number of people in the group also matters. Getting attention will be easier in smaller groups. You could perhaps try to choose your groups according to this...

That is true I suppose. Heck, I already avoid large groups because I know I'll just get drowned among all the people and get no chance of participating at all.

...of course, I haven't done much better in smaller groups either.

Lunaria
Posted on 07-05-12 01:44 PM Link | ID: 19715
Normal User
Professional Lurker
Level: 36

EXP: 284143
Next: 23967

Since: 01-03-12

Last post: 2005 days
Last view: 2004 days
I recommend getting into either a circle of friends in real life (figuratively speak, no need to sit in circle) and simply talk about some sort of hobby you share. (And hey, since you're a brony, I can strongly recommending finding other bronies and talk to them about MLP)

It's easier to talk about something that everyone have in common and that you burn for. It also helps if you have no shame. And what I mean with that is, just speak what comes natural in your mind, don't worry too much about what you say. (Under the assumptions that you're with friends.)

If that's too hard then try doing it on internet over skype or some other voice chat. (It's a bit easier to talk when you don't have faces looking at you.)

Also note that it's standard human reaction to look at who talks, simply since that's where the sound comes from (or so I assume.) People are not staring you and not everyone are judging you. But 60% of what we try to tell each other is done in none verbal form with body language, this is one of the reasons people look at you when you talk. :P

Practices makes perfect, and the more you try, the more confidence you will build up. Don't sit around thinking that you're terrible at it, do your best! And if everything does not work out at the end of the day? Well, hey, at least you tried your god darn best, and that's what counts; And you know what? It's also what matters the most: How you feel about it!

Taryn
Posted on 07-08-12 05:28 PM Link | ID: 19923
Normal User

Red Birdo
RIP
Fat Lesbian
Level: 88

EXP: 6575153
Next: 75511

Since: 04-03-12

Last post: 3449 days
Last view: 3448 days
I'm the same way IRL. If I'm talking to one other person I'm fine, but in a group I tend to get drowned out. Work is an exception because I'm in a position of authority.

That's when you feel my kind of love.

Marzen64
Posted on 07-12-12 02:49 PM Link | ID: 20354
Normal User
T̨̞͎͓͉̮͓̠o͚͎o ̴̘̼̳͔̥̺͓m̤̤a̸̳̫̜̠̬͉̗ny͕̳ ̥͈̘̞͟c͚̦̳̘̠̟ͅo҉̗͎̮̣͉o̷͍̤̥̞͔͎̹k҉͙̲̩͍̮̮s͈̼͎
Level: 82

EXP: 5006969
Next: 202258

Since: 01-02-12

Last post: 3398 days
Last view: 2684 days

I used to be the same way, too (still am on occasion, but you can't always get rid of a passive personality). I'd talk and people'd talk over me, and I couldn't but into a conversation or a situation, even if I absolutely NEEDED to.

Posted by Nicole
I've noticed in my case a lot of it seems to be from my tone of voice; I tend to speak very quietly in such a way that is easily ignored, so maybe a way to get more attention would be to try and speak louder?

I find this worked for me. I talk much more assertively and louder now, and actually, I blame that tone of voice on Let's Playing. I basically PRACTICED louder and... I'd say "alive" speaking to myself, for the internet. It actually helped quite a bit, you'd be surprise. I'm not saying you need to sit in your room and practice into the mic speaking, that sounds silly, but speaking a little more assertively will help. Of course, not TOO assertive now, but that goes without saying.

"GIVE ME SOME FUCKING SERVICE" will not get you far.

Emuz
Posted on 07-13-12 06:26 PM Link | ID: 20413
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13242434
Next: 278065

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 137 days
Last view: 11 days
I would say that I used to be the quietest one in the room. Over the years I've gained confidence to actually be social IRL. What I found is having a sense of humor about things can help.

Wait your turn, say what you want to see with a polite confidence, and know you have the right to speak up... don't let the group think prevent you from doing so. If someone interrupts you keep at it until you get your voice heard.

I've been lucky in that even when I was mostly too shy to ever talk, I could when it was needed speak up, logically, make a valid argument, and I was heard. (Well except with girls I like.. I'm just a total derp. lol)

Confidence. That's the key. (humor too helps) You have the right to express an opinon, do not forget that; do not let someone drowned you out. Do it with politeness and respect. You have to respect others to be respected.

Your outward reflection is based on what you feel on the inside. Start small in your confidence. If you have a bad day, share it with a firend. Talking thing out helps to build the confidence as well.

The Dynamic Profile Administrator™

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - The Officer's Club - The reason I can't participate in discussions...

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.080 seconds. (843KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 137, rows: 571/604, time: 0.058 seconds.