Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,290
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-28-24 03:33 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in The Officer's Club | 1 bot

Main - The Officer's Club - English and languages you use but never speak
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Thierry
Posted on 12-27-17 01:12 PM, in Link | ID: 117294
Normal User

Level: 107

EXP: 12886830
Next: 204481

Since: 03-19-13

Last post: 34 days
Last view: 1 day
dunno if this is the right forum

I'm getting comfortable talking here, so I'll probably post more threads like these.

I have to admit something dumb. while I can read English, listen to it, and even think in English all the time, I've got close to zero practice at actually speaking it; to the point where I need to build up confidence to do so.
and I tend to blank out in the middle of my sentences. everybody I asked told me I just need actual practice, which's true.
so.. I'll try to figure something out.
in the meantime, there's also the fact I'm not so comfortable sharing my voice, so while speaking to people regularly is probably the best way to get this fixed, I rarely bring myself to it.

so I wanted to know.. has anybody been in a similar situation with any language? knowing them well but being hardly able to speak them.

Epele
Posted on 12-27-17 03:31 PM, in Link | ID: 117308
Site Administrator
The Sorceress.
Boing~

Level: 235

EXP: 200180142
Next: 1745750

Since: 01-01-12

Last post: 813 days
Last view: 3 hours
Moved this to a more suitable forum, as I really don't think the General Forum is the best place for it.

For your position, I'm understand it from a different point of view. But there's common ground.

For your voice, I'd recommend you practice getting your voice to be where you want it. Once you can grasp a more feminine voice, and can upkeep it comfortably, that's when you might want to adventure into practising English.

I understand the not-comfortable thing. I'm the same, but I've been getting a grip on my own vocal training lately.

It probably would make you more comfortable to speak with someone who's not going to poke fun at you for everything you say. Consider voice chat with either the transgender members of this board, or those who support them well. We're the best people to practice with.

I'm a native speaker of English. My speaking isn't perfect, and I won't make fun of anyone else. I know plenty of people who don't, or didn't, have English as their first language - in fact, one of my best friends had Urdu as their first language for a long time. I used to help him out, and he's way more socially skilled than I am now.

Also, it might be worth remembering this. Sometimes people are more comfortable talking face-to-face than over voice communication methods.. Maybe you could even find someone to practice with face-to-face?

The world could always use more heroes!

SnakeBlock
Posted on 12-27-17 05:01 PM, in Link | ID: 117321
Normal User

Level: 10

EXP: 3665
Next: 749

Since: 12-06-17

Last post: 1923 days
Last view: 417 days
Posted by Epele
one of my best friends had Urdu as their first language for a long time

I didn't expect to...ever hear that on the Internet about anyone that isn't me, even down to the language!
Luckily, I got a lot better thanks to just roaming around on the Internet when I was younger. I can speak/write/whatever in English fairly well now, I guess.

Robbie Rage
Posted on 12-28-17 02:17 AM, in Link | ID: 117582
Normal User

Boomerang Brother
Fueled by Board Nostalgia and Old Memes
Level: 128

EXP: 24193215
Next: 188485

Since: 11-22-16
Since: 2001

Last post: 696 days
Last view: 100 days
I found myself experiencing this myself, albeit to a much smaller degree. When I was learning French in high school, I could write and type decently enough, but I was always nervous to actually speak. When I actually met someone outside of class who spoke French, I was way too intimidated to even try. Now, I've forgotten most of what I learned.

Given how well you type, I doubt that will happen to you, but I get what you mean. Your command of English seems strong, so when you do feel compelled to speak, I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

skyl
Posted on 12-31-17 03:11 AM, in (rev. 4 of 12-31-17 03:13 AM by skyl) Link | ID: 118549
Normal User
I guess I pop up occasionally now
Level: 103

EXP: 11204425
Next: 266981

Since: 10-26-13

Last post: 204 days
Last view: 196 days
Posted by hamza62240
I got a lot better thanks to just roaming around on the Internet when I was younger. I can speak/write/whatever in English fairly well now, I guess.

Oh, definitely! I remember you back in 2014. At one point there was a huge shift over just like one week.

More on the topic of this thread, I love languages and even so I still find speaking to be the most difficult part. Try to find someone who is understanding and patient, because you will stumble through sentences at first. It takes time but you can get there :)

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - The Officer's Club - English and languages you use but never speak

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.042 seconds. (784KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 91, rows: 510/547, time: 0.033 seconds.