Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,624
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-28-24 10:50 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in The Officer's Club | 4 bots

Main - The Officer's Club - Autism and other mental disorders (2)
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Pages: 1 2

Kiyoshi
Posted on 01-06-12 09:31 PM, in Link | ID: 1186
Normal User
HEY HEY HEY STAY OUTTA MAH SHED
Level: 64

EXP: 2164939
Next: 49158

Since: 01-02-12

Last post: 4357 days
Last view: 4328 days
I have heard some of us have it, even some of the original founders of AcmlmBoards.

Do you have a mental disorder, and if so, how does it affect you in life, and how do you deal with it?

I am an Asperger myself. In my teenage years I was often not understood by others, which often resulted in very awkward situations. I got insane when I was 16, and spent about 13 years in psychiatry.
Thanks to my intelligence and willpower, I now live on my own since about half a year. Maintaining order in the house is difficult at times, and I feel alone sometimes, but I often have friends coming over :)
Kawa lives only 10 kilometres away from here, and it's a shame I will probably never meet any other AcmlmBoarders.

Nick
Posted on 01-06-12 10:23 PM, in (rev. 2 of 01-06-12 10:23 PM by Nick) Link | ID: 1210
Banned

Level: 33

EXP: 221109
Next: 8070

Since: 01-03-12

Last post: 3546 days
Last view: 3546 days
Do you think there's a higher rate of mental disorders in the developed world because of conditions in the developed world which lead to them or because there's a higher quality of medical care available that could actually ID people with these problems?

Have you ever had to take any kind of medications for your condition to handle any symptoms you face? Like, do you suffer from social anxiety?

we are trapped in संसार

Serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law.

GreyMaria
Posted on 01-06-12 10:25 PM, in Link | ID: 1212
Normal User
~</3
Outta here.
Level: 99

EXP: 9682445
Next: 317555

Last post: 3912 days
Last view: 3701 days
I personally believe that a large portion of "diagnosed" mental disorders are in fact faked.

And honestly, how hard WOULD it be to fake any number of mental disorders? I have a relative who's done just that.

Nick
Posted on 01-06-12 10:27 PM, in Link | ID: 1216
Banned

Posted by GreyMaria
I personally believe that a large portion of "diagnosed" mental disorders are in fact faked.

And honestly, how hard WOULD it be to fake any number of mental disorders? I have a relative who's done just that.

https://board.kafuka.org/thread.php?id=10

Get out now.

we are trapped in संसार

KP
Posted on 01-06-12 10:31 PM, in (rev. 3 of 01-06-12 10:36 PM by KP) Link | ID: 1220
Retired Staff
NES Game Aficionado
Level: 73

EXP: 3330960
Next: 154908

Last post: 1943 days
Last view: 1451 days
I believe those with (or without) medical disorders would be better off if the doctors who diagnose them knew what they were talking about. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid, put on all kinds of drugs, then I made the decision to stop taking them secretly. My mother, immediately noticing the change, believed it was the drugs. When it came up in the doctor's office I told them both what was going on and my mom immediately ended the exchange and sought a second opinion. Turns out I didn't have ADHD at all, despite having similar behavioral tendencies.

Edit: Oh yeah, as for the fake stuff: it seems hard to believe someone when they act the way they do, but it's a real issue and just because you don't have the same ailment as they it's easy to write it off as "fake". Please take this in consideration next time you make a post about this kind of thing, GM.

Edit2: fixed spelling mistake.

Nick
Posted on 01-06-12 10:34 PM, in Link | ID: 1222
Banned

Posted by KP9000
I believe those with (or without) medical orders would be better off if the doctors who diagnose them knew what they were talking about. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid, put on all kinds of drugs, then I made the decision to stop taking them secretly. My mother, immediately noticing the change, believed it was the drugs. When it came up in the doctor's office I told them both what was going on and my mom immediately ended the exchange and sought a second opinion. Turns out I didn't have ADHD at all, despite having similar behavioral tendencies.

Fucking exactly. Most medications for mental disorder have such terrible side effects and shit you'd have to endure through or problems that could happen for someone who doesn't have an issue, that you'd have to pretty much be a gigantic sadomaschist/sociopath to do it. A lot of early treatments for depression especially if you're poor are designed around giving different generics and seeing which ones make your symptoms worse, better, or different in order to determine the type of depression you have.

we are trapped in संसार

Kiyoshi
Posted on 01-06-12 10:36 PM, in Link | ID: 1224
Normal User

Posted by Nick
Posted by GreyMaria

It's not that easy. They will get unmasked sooner or later. Seen it many times. You just can't keep up the acting for many months.
And what purpose does it serve anyway?

Posted by Nick
Do you think there's a higher rate of mental disorders in the developed world because of conditions in the developed world which lead to them or because there's a higher quality of medical care available that could actually ID people with these problems?

Have you ever had to take any kind of medications for your condition to handle any symptoms you face? Like, do you suffer from social anxiety?
There are many good doctors here in the West, and there is a lot of research, which I have often contributed to as well.
Some doctors are more conservative in placing labels than others. Many believe an Asperger like me can never live on his own. Autism is still only diagnosed by symptoms. Until they find neurological patterns, a lot of doctors will keep disagreeing.
I never had any medicine for my autism, I tried a few but they only made me feel tired, or they seemed to have no effect.

Lili~ ♥
Posted on 01-06-12 10:44 PM, in (rev. 2 of 01-06-12 10:44 PM by Lili~ ♥) Link | ID: 1231
Normal User
Queen Lesbian of Kafuka
Level: 159

EXP: 51556202
Next: 254555

Since: 01-06-12

Last post: 2726 days
Last view: 1248 days
Posted by Nick

Interesting question. If you think about it, the third world is mostly about farming and hunting. Social skills, which autistic people have problems with, aren't actually needed in that world, so naturally, they won't stand out from the crowd.

It only came with the change in society and the rapid rise of "social" jobs that they came to be recognized.

Posted by Nick

I don't take anything... Maybe I should, I have the annoying tendency to turn from calm to WAAAAH INSANENESS in mere seconds.

Kiyoshi
Posted on 01-06-12 10:51 PM, in Link | ID: 1236
Normal User

Posted by Liliana
I don't take anything... Maybe I should, I have the annoying tendency to turn from calm to WAAAAH INSANENESS in mere seconds.
Do you have a disorder label?

Lili~ ♥
Posted on 01-06-12 10:53 PM, in Link | ID: 1238
Normal User
Queen Lesbian of Kafuka

Posted by Kiyoshi
Posted by Liliana

Sure enough, I got an official diagnosis long ago, and I'm now officially recognized as a disabled person.

Kiyoshi
Posted on 01-06-12 10:54 PM, in (rev. 3 of 01-06-12 11:09 PM by Kiyoshi) Link | ID: 1239
Normal User

Posted by Liliana
Posted by Kiyoshi
Posted by Liliana

Sure enough, I got an official diagnosis long ago, and I'm now officially recognized as a disabled person.
You say disabled, is this a physical disability originating from a mental disorder?
Also, do you have autism like many here?

Edit: rephrased and elaborated to avoid potentially sounding insensitive

Lili~ ♥
Posted on 01-06-12 11:09 PM, in Link | ID: 1243
Normal User
Queen Lesbian of Kafuka

The legal status of a disability is a bit... complicated to explain, but basically, it can be for both physical, and mental disabilities.

And yeah, I've been diagnosed with autism like pretty much everyone around here.

Nick
Posted on 01-06-12 11:14 PM, in Link | ID: 1246
Banned

Posted by Liliana
The legal status of a disability is a bit... complicated to explain, but basically, it can be for both physical, and mental disabilities.

And yeah, I've been diagnosed with autism like pretty much everyone around here.

I'm sure there's plenty of non-autistic people around here.

we are trapped in संसार

Marzen64
Posted on 01-07-12 12:37 AM, in Link | ID: 1261
Normal User
T̨̞͎͓͉̮͓̠o͚͎o ̴̘̼̳͔̥̺͓m̤̤a̸̳̫̜̠̬͉̗ny͕̳ ̥͈̘̞͟c͚̦̳̘̠̟ͅo҉̗͎̮̣͉o̷͍̤̥̞͔͎̹k҉͙̲̩͍̮̮s͈̼͎
Level: 82

EXP: 4995131
Next: 214096

Last post: 3377 days
Last view: 2663 days

I'm not autistic, and haven't been diagnosed with any problems (though I self diagnosed myself as depressed), but I know many people who are (many of which are here). Some of my better friends are autistic to certain degrees. I kinda get the feeling that, due to the fact I really don't notice/don't give a shit, I'm the only friend of some of people which is... a little sad. Depressed that other people are assholes, that is.

Posted by GreyMaria

While this coulda been worded a bit better, I don't think he really meant it in a dickish way cause, yeah, people do that. I also know people who use their autism as an excuse to have to do nothing. And these people only had minor problems, while others I know who have a multitude of problems are out there conquering them. Quite frankly, this only makes me more proud to be their friends.

But also, I'm against extensive reliance on drugs. I got over my suicidal depression completely by myself, and now I'm so fucking happy it drives people nuts.

Nick
Posted on 01-07-12 12:51 AM, in Link | ID: 1272
Banned

Posted by Marzen64

But also, I'm against extensive reliance on drugs. I got over my suicidal depression completely by myself, and now I'm so fucking happy it drives people nuts.

Good for you, but not everyone can do that and some people do need drugs to handle issues like that. Depression can be caused by different factors, both issues in ones life or in some cases purely biological factors.

we are trapped in संसार

Emuz
Posted on 01-07-12 01:04 AM, in Link | ID: 1274
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13211144
Next: 309355

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 115 days
Last view: 22 hours
I've been diagnosed as bi-polar. It's basically the cause of most of my temper fits over the years. The medication I am on currently, in conjunction with the fact I sucked at spelling to begin with, my odd typing mistakes. I also have a little bit of dyslexia too that is magnified by that as well.

I was once diagnosed with ADD, but I didn't really have it, and it was a misdiagnosis of my other condition. However my last Doctors appointment they discovered that I have very high thyroid levels. Hyperthyroidism can mimic Bi Polar in some cases, and the fact my medication is known to cause hypothyroidism it's a red flag.

My Brother however is High functioning Autistic. He's living currently in a group home and he's doing quite well! :)

The Dynamic Profile Administrator™

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

Mesia
Posted on 01-07-12 02:37 AM, in Link | ID: 1284
Normal User

Paragoomba

Level: 20

EXP: 41694
Next: 745

Last post: 3623 days
Last view: 3606 days
Posted by GreyMaria

There are several people in my family that have mental disorders (including my mother), and I can assure you--it's not about fake or real, it's whether that person chooses to be functioning or non-functioning. My mother is functioning, but if she stops taking her medicine for a day... holy shit. Two of my cousins are bipolar. One has a wife and a job, the other doesn't do anything but sit at home all day because his parents have money. No ambition whatsoever. Of course the severity of the illness has an influence, but a lot of it comes down to strength of will.

Ailure
Posted on 01-07-12 02:53 PM, in (rev. 2 of 01-07-12 02:54 PM by Ailure) Link | ID: 1338
Retired Staff

Buzzy Beetle
Red pandas and stuff
Level: 43

EXP: 530860
Next: 34186

Since: 01-01-12

Last post: 2459 days
Last view: 661 days
Posted by GreyMaria

Considering that most people are diagnosed as child (at least over here), and those people are rarely let known about it right away I doubt there is acting involved. I know there was over four years between dispensation and before I knew that I had asperger. I been told that I'm highly functioning and can act somewhat normally amongst most people (though I still find myself struggling with simple stuff like looking into other people's eyes when talking, just feel awkward).

Just wish whenever this topic came up it wasn't so focused on HURF DURF DISABILITY MONEEEY CHEATERS (I get none anyway).

I don't have taken medication or ever did. I'm unaware of there is anything some autistic take infact.

Jet
Posted on 01-07-12 02:58 PM, in Link | ID: 1343
Banned
Unbanned indefinitely.
Level: 38

EXP: 338700
Next: 31747

I'm a high functioning person with ASD. I am quite independent, however I do need reminders to do basic things and struggle with a lot of social aspects (when I'm sober).

I've never taken medication because of it, however I can see why (and what) people at the lower end of the Autistic Spectrum would take to help them in their day to day lives.

I do receive benefits, however, but this is also because of problems caused with defects at birth with my body (my leg) and just back problems that have been said to be hereditary.

Colin
Posted on 01-11-12 06:54 AM, in Link | ID: 2405
Normal User

Micro-Goomba

Level: 9

EXP: 2437
Next: 725

Last post: 4439 days
Last view: 4439 days
I'm sure there's plenty of non-autistic people around here.

*raises hand* Not autistic, not depressed, not... any of those labels.

Having said that, I've certainly had to deal with a lot of people who are in that boat... both online and offline. It can be a challenge, but I'd like to think that I've done more help than harm when it comes to discussing that stuff.
Pages: 1 2

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - The Officer's Club - Autism and other mental disorders (2)

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.087 seconds. (857KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 209, rows: 615/648, time: 0.065 seconds.