Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,187
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-28-24 12:12 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in Display Case | 11 bots

Main - Display Case - Kafuka.ME - Mastodon Instance from Kafuka! (Well I mean it's in the name)
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Emuz
Posted on 09-08-19 01:46 PM, in (rev. 3 of 09-16-19 04:03 PM by Emuz) Link | ID: 151175
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13210489
Next: 310010

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 115 days
Last view: 11 hours
Hello everyone.

So I've been working on a project for a while and it's finally getting to the point where I can show it off! We once spoke of creating a Mastodon instance for Kafuka but at the time it never manifested as it wasn't the point to do so. Recently motivated by a certain event to make things right as well as feeling now feels like a better time to give it a try I've created a Matsodon instance.

It's not just for the members of Kafuka however.. it's also for people who like to share art, talk about computers (both new and classic), and emulation. It's also for the friends we have that may not fit in our circles that want to try the Fediverse out.

The Instance is called "Kafuka.ME". I wanted to keep it separate from kafuka.org so I could give it a shorter url, and allow it to have it's own identity.

How does Mastodon/Fediverse work?
Magic? I jest. (I may rewrite this in the future since this is off the cuff.)

Think of it like if twitter and irc had a baby. You have your main Home Timeline that is just like twitter: it shows only the people you follow, their boosts (retweets), and etc.

You have the Local timeline.. which shows all the publicly posting toots (tweets) from everyone on the instance you are on. I feel this is where it would shine for the members here. All toots have a privacy settings ranging from public, to mentioned only. If you set it to be followers only, it will not show in any timelines but anyone who follows you will see it.

Finally we have the Federated Timeline. This will show all the posts the server sees that is public. Primary it's sourced from the accounts followed by the members of the instance. They also can be from relays that connect servers together. Any user that is on another Mastodon, Pleroma, Misskey, etc server that allows federation can be followed just like if they were on the server. This is the cool part. It allows you connect to people that may not be on the instance you are on. Creating a truly global experience.

That may be a lot or confusing So I'll break it down so a tl;dr size:

It's multi-server twitter with 3 additional views:

1. Home - Basically Twitter's timeline. Whomever you follow.
2. Local - All the posts of everyone on the same site as you, minus ones marked 'private'.
3. Federation - Everything your server sees that isn't private. Like Putting all the Locals together from every server you know about.

That's the 20¢ tour. It's really straight forward when you play with it. There are tools that can help you find other people on other instances and as Kafuka.ME grows the more it can see and grow.

So it's not quite ready yet. I am ready for a few more people to going in and help it to grow. I would like members of Kafuka to be the first to have access to it. The invite below is going to have an invite that will allow for 25 accounts to me made and will expire a week from this posting. When the site is in full live state I will have Registration open/review and invites enabled. For now both are disabled. (This paragraph will be removed once it has opened)

Link to the site. You can register on the front page. Just mention you're from the boards!

I've added a field in the extended profiles for Mastodon accounts. If you follow the format in the example it will link back to your profile any Mastodon site. (Not sure about other software).

If you already are on an instance no worries! We can always follow each other! Please feel free to follow me! https://kafuka.me/@emuz.

Other than that I am sure I left out a lot. I put a lot of work, time, and effort into this project. I hope you'll consider giving it a try!

The Dynamic Profile Administrator™

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

Thierry
Posted on 09-08-19 04:35 PM, in Link | ID: 151176
Normal User

Level: 107

EXP: 12886607
Next: 204704

Since: 03-19-13

Last post: 34 days
Last view: 1 day
I'm heaving a really hard time picturing it, mostly the timelines stuff.

illustrations would be well appreciated or else I fear I won't be the only one for whom it's flying over my head.

Emuz
Posted on 09-08-19 06:33 PM, in (rev. 2 of 09-08-19 06:36 PM by Emuz) Link | ID: 151188
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario

It's actually quite simple. I just explain things over complicatedly.

It's twitter with 2 additional views:

1. Home - Basically Twitter's timeline. Whomever you follow.
2. Local - All the posts of everyone on the same site as you, minus ones marked 'private'.
3. Federation - Everything your server sees that isn't private. Like Putting all the Locals together from every server you are talking to.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it. If you see it, it'll make sense. I am very techinical sometimes with my explanations. lol. I've included a poorly photoshoped screenshot with all three timelines:

I'm also going to link a youtube video with a basic "What is Mastodon" just to help. Though I warn you it's a bit.. ehh.. lol

So yeah. It's not really complicated to use! I'll update my first post with a bit to make it a bit better.

"Never Knows Best"
by @thatsheepagain

Nicole
Posted on 09-08-19 11:56 PM, in (rev. 2 of 09-08-19 11:57 PM by Nicole) Link | ID: 151196
Administrator
Goddess of the Apocalypse
Level: 199

EXP: 111218672
Next: 1918412

Since: 01-03-12

Last post: 229 days
Last view: 229 days
12798 4467 2
Honestly, you can have a good Mastodon experience without ever leaving your home timeline and using it like Twitter; it's just a different community than twitter, and people can run their own servers.

The local and federation timelines can be nice ways to find new people to follow, though. That's their biggest value in my book.

DarkWitchClaire
Posted on 09-09-19 12:58 AM, in Link | ID: 151202
Normal User

Hero of Winds
the future is now
Level: 112

EXP: 14893418
Next: 444787

Since: 04-23-19

Last post: 253 days
Last view: 253 days

darkwitchclaire post

i've had a good experience on mastodon, though it's still social media where quick shitpost-y posts get more engagement. at least it has good privacy options and the ability to cw posts

Emuz
Posted on 09-09-19 12:52 PM, in Link | ID: 151211
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario

The big difference is in the instance you choose. So far we've curated a really good content stream. I have only one relay and the people are mostly talking about things we talk about here.. cats.. games.. art. There will always be the quick "shitposts". Same could be said for here too. However as it stands.. the biggest shitposter on the feed is an account that shows pictures of big ben going "BONG BONG BONG" which I find hilarious!

For the members of this board. if you like twitter style for things but found it meh.. it's a good solution. The local feed would fit so well with our members. It would just be us.. and anyone else who joins Kafuka.ME. The interface is flexible in that there are many different interfaces you can choose to login with provided you don't like the interface, and it has full mobile app support. (One of those alternate interfaces is a old style html render! I've also been playing with a CLI client too!)

I think as long as you not totally repulsed by social media this is the best service that would be fit for this group. I would hope you'd at least give it a try! :) The board's not going away.. so there isn't a risk in at least trying it out. If you don't like it you can just delete your account with ease!

I know we're traditionally.. well traditional about or web experiences. It's run by Nicole and myself.. so know we'll be making sure it's a fun experience. We could have the best Local Timeline ever! :D

Regardless, I made this for myself and anyone that I know who wants an alternative to twitter, wants to try the fediverse with friends, or wants to see what other communities there may be. If that's not something your interested in than that's fine! If you don't feel like trying it out than no worries! I want to make sure the members of Kafuka have the first chance to sign up if they like. It's only fair! :)

"Never Knows Best"
by @thatsheepagain

K.T.B.
Posted on 09-10-19 02:05 AM, in Link | ID: 151227
Normal User

Shyguy

Level: 22

EXP: 52089
Next: 6261

Since: 01-02-15

Last post: 1311 days
Last view: 460 days
I'm not sure if I've ever had an encounter with Mastodon prior to tonight. After watching that video, I'm still not entirely sure what the advantages of it are supposed to be aside from the whole "open source / decentralized" thing. Then again, I might just be a little slow today, so I won't bother anyone to explain it again to me (yet).

It's an interesting concept, though. I may have to check it out myself >_>

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

Emuz
Posted on 09-10-19 08:17 PM, in Link | ID: 151243
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario

I find it's.. one of those things that very difficult to explain, but if you spend about an hour with it.. it starts to click. If you want I'll be glad to talk with you about it. Nicole is also a good choice as she has been doing this even longer than I! <3 :D

I am bad at explaining things sometimes as I tend to speak over detailed. lol! It's really just a platform in the style of twitter, but more open, and not one company holds all the cards.

The current groups that I've been connected with have been kind so far. One of the reasons I think it could be cool for here lots of LGTBQ+ people use it. Some more art people for me (lol), lots of open source and tech chat, and privacy controls as well. Plus unlike some other Social Media sites I won't pull your account for no gd reason. *pant* *pant*.

If anyone is remotely curious they should give it a try for an hour or so and it'll all make sense. (Plus you'll know if you like it or not as well! :D [and you won't have to sit through another one of my cruddy explanations!)

"Never Knows Best"
by @thatsheepagain

Nicole
Posted on 09-10-19 08:37 PM, in Link | ID: 151244
Administrator
Goddess of the Apocalypse
Level: 199

EXP: 111218672
Next: 1918412

Since: 01-03-12

Last post: 229 days
Last view: 229 days
12805 4467 2
Posted by K.T.B.
I'm not sure if I've ever had an encounter with Mastodon prior to tonight. After watching that video, I'm still not entirely sure what the advantages of it are supposed to be aside from the whole "open source / decentralized" thing. Then again, I might just be a little slow today, so I won't bother anyone to explain it again to me (yet).

It's an interesting concept, though. I may have to check it out myself >_>

The "open source / decentralized" thing I think is the whole idea; it seems that every large social media company tends to go evil eventually-- look at twitter with their algorithmic timeline and how they changed their positions on third-party clients, look at Facebook and their, well, everything... Tumblr and their confused series of corporate owners who have no idea how to run it, etc.

The idea is that by allowing small communities to interact, you can get the benefits of social media without the downsides, because no one is trying to build a billion-dollar company off of your posts. And yeah, there are features that Mastodon does better than twitter-- Content warnings, less mangled image uploads, etc.

So I think it's definitely worth a try! It's been there long enough that there are users out there and people to follow; the user discovery can be a bit harder than twitter though. (That's where I think the broad timelines are genius)

Danielle
Posted on 09-10-19 09:25 PM, in Link | ID: 151252
Normal User

Miracles Happen
When you believe...
Level: 254

EXP: 263217184
Next: 1566141

Since: 07-16-12

Last post: 118 days
Last view: 118 days
I haven't used Mastodon in a while but might give it another go this time 😉 now if I can remember my password, heh

"Miracles happen, when you believe..."
YouTube

DarkWitchClaire
Posted on 09-10-19 09:56 PM, in Link | ID: 151253
Normal User

Hero of Winds
the future is now
Level: 112

EXP: 14893418
Next: 444787

Since: 04-23-19

Last post: 253 days
Last view: 253 days

darkwitchclaire post

or you can just create another account :P plenty of users have multiple accounts across various instances

Trelior
Posted on 09-21-19 03:55 AM, in (rev. 2 of 09-21-19 03:57 AM by Trelior) Link | ID: 151445
Normal User

Level: 127

EXP: 23535819
Next: 190747

Since: 01-02-12

Last post: 1233 days
Last view: 1233 days
I've done some tinkering on Gab.social, I don't use it much. I follow a few SNFW art bots and am part of a small Minecraft community.

What's the worst that could happen if I pop in?

Aside from bringing my shitty, cynical self into the place and shitting it up. Not much different than my presence here on the board, I suppose.

Rambly
Posted on 10-22-19 12:32 PM, in Link | ID: 152001
Normal User

Level: 70

EXP: 2942634
Next: 73177

Since: 07-01-12

Last post: 697 days
Last view: 693 days
i'm considering it if only so i can post inane observations and bad jokes somewhere bc i haven't had a place for my bullshittery lately

Emuz
Posted on 10-24-19 02:25 PM, in Link | ID: 152089
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario

Hahah, Well it's a good place for that! You are more the welcome to give it a go!

Trel: I approved your account when you signed up.. I just forgot to say anything about it. I was sick that weekend! :)

"Never Knows Best"
by @thatsheepagain

Trelior
Posted on 10-24-19 08:41 PM, in Link | ID: 152095
Normal User

Level: 127

EXP: 23535819
Next: 190747

Since: 01-02-12

Last post: 1233 days
Last view: 1233 days
Posted by Emuz
Hahah, Well it's a good place for that! You are more the welcome to give it a go!

Trel: I approved your account when you signed up.. I just forgot to say anything about it. I was sick that weekend! :)
I got the email notification, I just never went and set anything up.

Rambly
Posted on 05-05-20 10:31 AM, in Link | ID: 157291
Normal User

Level: 70

EXP: 2942634
Next: 73177

Since: 07-01-12

Last post: 697 days
Last view: 693 days
so i mulled over whether or not i even wanted to join a social media site again but i got tired of not having a place to just, natter and be an idiot, so i signed up ~

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - Display Case - Kafuka.ME - Mastodon Instance from Kafuka! (Well I mean it's in the name)

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.112 seconds. (1020KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 182, rows: 710/743, time: 0.063 seconds.