Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,255
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-28-24 02:39 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in Creativity and Artwork Showcase! | 3 bots

Main - Creativity and Artwork Showcase! - Writers Unite!
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Next Jen
Posted on 08-05-12 02:58 AM, in Link | ID: 22674
Normal User
Trudging Scribe
Level: 88

EXP: 6510987
Next: 139677

Since: 08-04-12
Acmlmn' Since: 2001

Last post: 1552 days
Last view: 1302 days
Just a simple thread (which started out in the Reading Rainbow thread), where writers can post their ideas for their books, gripe about writing and writer's block, get advise, or just generally talk about writing.

Marzen64
Posted on 08-05-12 04:14 AM, in Link | ID: 22685
Normal User
T̨̞͎͓͉̮͓̠o͚͎o ̴̘̼̳͔̥̺͓m̤̤a̸̳̫̜̠̬͉̗ny͕̳ ̥͈̘̞͟c͚̦̳̘̠̟ͅo҉̗͎̮̣͉o̷͍̤̥̞͔͎̹k҉͙̲̩͍̮̮s͈̼͎
Level: 82

EXP: 4994940
Next: 214287

Since: 01-02-12

Last post: 3376 days
Last view: 2662 days

I've got 18 books planned for my High Fantasy series, The Chronicles of Freilia. I recently finished and fine tuned part 1 of 3 of my Inferno book, but now I'm kinda stuck. I dunno, everything I write just seems like crap and then I don't wanna write anymore.... kinda feeling inspired though, maybe I'll write some tonight or tomorrow. I just gotta start and DO it, I suppose.

Getting close to introducing the Dwarves. I tried to make Dwarves as different from the norm as possible while still being Dwarves. I just gave them my own unique spin :3

Taryn
Posted on 08-05-12 04:18 AM, in Link | ID: 22686
Normal User

Red Birdo
RIP
Fat Lesbian

EXP: 6559028
Next: 91636

Since: 04-03-12

Last post: 3427 days
Last view: 3426 days
Around 2006-2007, I created a rather extensive fantasy planet named Interran for some planned stories that never really got off the ground.

I think one thing is, I'm too lazy to work that much on a project. And all the writing-intensive classes I've had made me dread writing, even though I once enjoyed it.

Maybe someday, when I don't have such classes anymore...

That's when you feel my kind of love.

Next Jen
Posted on 08-05-12 04:53 AM, in Link | ID: 22687
Normal User
Trudging Scribe

Posted by Marzen64
I've got 18 books planned

Fantastic! I wanted to write out a four book series, but as I started to put things together, I realized that my four part series would be better as two. It was a hard decision to make, but it had to be done. Perhaps once I finish this arc and if something happens in regards to being published, I might write more.

Posted by Marzen64
The Chronicles of Freilia.

Love the title! I've been thinking of changing the title of my series, which I know I'll end up doing. Your stuff sounds very interesting and detailed. What age/reading group are you trying to target?

Posted by Marzen64
I dunno, everything I write just seems like crap and then I don't wanna write anymore....

I used to be like this for a very long time. Then I started to read and then while reading a certain series, I thought to myself, "I can write something better". I know that doesn't sound good but its more like motivation for me to write and try to get it published.

Posted by Marzen64
I just gotta start and DO it, I suppose.

Yep. Sounds easy and its not, but then again, it is.

I write better with music. I have to have certain music on for certain scenes or it won't click. I've also been able to write while at work, but only on Sundays. I'm stuck on the crepe/omelet station on Sundays, all the way in the front of the buffet, yet no one really pays any attention. So one day, I started to write in my notepad, while standing up for eight hours. I stop when customers come up to me of course, and some of the regulars, I've told them that I have to keep busy when I have nothing to do, so I write.

I've been writing since the 5th grade. A few characters have stuck around since then while a few were created thanks to the RP at Acmlm's. I've had years to know these characters and as I write today, I'm getting to know them even more.

I write to get to the point, no matter if its a gaming article or my story. I feel like my pace is quick and I hope the pace is constant throughout, which I think it is. There's just a few things that I need to add to my rough draft, like filling holes, adding names and conversations.

I've already prepared myself for rejection, which will be hard but I know it will happen. I just hope I get a publisher, I really hate my job and I want to quit so bad and do what I love.

I've per-orderd this book that I pray will help me out in seeking a publisher, which means I need to get my first book done before the end of September.

What I'm doing, is a mix between super heroes and magic/fantasy with a bit of sci-fi, targeted for young adults. As I started to get more into the story, it started to also turn into a bit of a love story, which I had no intention of doing. Thankfully my main female hero isn't the typical type. It is in first person, which I love to write in.

Marzen64
Posted on 08-05-12 06:44 AM, in (rev. 2 of 08-05-12 06:44 AM by Marzen64) Link | ID: 22695
Normal User
T̨̞͎͓͉̮͓̠o͚͎o ̴̘̼̳͔̥̺͓m̤̤a̸̳̫̜̠̬͉̗ny͕̳ ̥͈̘̞͟c͚̦̳̘̠̟ͅo҉̗͎̮̣͉o̷͍̤̥̞͔͎̹k҉͙̲̩͍̮̮s͈̼͎

Posted by Anya
Love the title! I've been thinking of changing the title of my series, which I know I'll end up doing. Your stuff sounds very interesting and detailed. What age/reading group are you trying to target?

I've written out the timeline for the entire world recently. It's going to be a collection of stories, each based around the ideals of one of the eighteen Gods (Inferno, Magic, Balance, Justice, ect.). They're books for young adults, much like what you say you write. I'm inspired by writers like Terry Pratchett, so my writing's a little more silly and humor-based than some, but I personally think it's a unique blend :D.

Posted by Anya
What I'm doing, is a mix between super heroes and magic/fantasy with a bit of sci-fi, targeted for young adults. As I started to get more into the story, it started to also turn into a bit of a love story, which I had no intention of doing. Thankfully my main female hero isn't the typical type. It is in first person, which I love to write in.

Wow, that's lots of different themes rolled into one. Sounds neat! First person is fun to read, some of my favorite books are first person, but hard to write in for me. "Deception" is going to be half in first person, from the point of view of a Captain of the Guard telling a priest his sins. I just hope my writing's improved by the time I get to work on that one.

Trelior
Posted on 08-05-12 07:18 AM, in Link | ID: 22696
Normal User

Level: 127

EXP: 23536088
Next: 190478

Last post: 1233 days
Last view: 1233 days
I don't do a whole lot of writing, but I enjoy writing in roleplay scenarios. I've been looking for as group to join that is active and open to a good-but-not-great writer like me that is also not opposed to my word choices, since I have a tendency to use "bad" words.

Egoraptor said it best in his Megaman episode of Sequelitis, "I know you're not a stupid kid, because I say 'fuck' a lot and you're okay with it."

The way I see it, they're just words. They're viable words for a vocabulary, and people are overly sensitive about it. It more than mildly pisses me off. That said, I suppose you could say I write for "adults," but I feel that's somewhat of a misnomer since it's more on a level of maturity than an age group.

As I said, I prefer to write collaboratively, which is why I volunteered to run the roleplay forum here. That said, I'm having severe writer's block on what to for my story for my characters, which appears to be why the thread has stagnated. I have two characters I plan to bring back in that I haven't written profiles for since I don't know what to do with them yet, which is the reason for my block.

Maybe with the combination of the rekindled interest, and the break I'm about to take from here will help me get my thoughts in order so that I can get the ball rolling again.

In the meantime, anyone currently involved is more than welcomed to establish themselves into the narrative, and new people are welcomed to join. I really want to see this become something.

Marzen64
Posted on 08-28-12 03:25 PM, in Link | ID: 24601
Normal User

Currently working on the Dwarf chapters of my book, where the heroes go to the Dwarven capital to ask for their shard of the sword, when they find it under attack by a horde of Goblins and Orcs. Originally when I came up with the story, Dwarves were just an afterthought. "Oh yeah Dwarves, lemme through those in der". They were minor and didn't have much to do with the other all plot. They were just grumpy Tolkein-esque Dwarves.

I have sense changed that COMPLETELY. And for the better I believe.

If I borrow ideas from other fiction I don't like to just take the whole thing. Yes I am influenced by Tolkein, but I'd feel dirty having Gimli wander around in my book. So instead, I changed them up a bit. They are eccentric to the point of near insanity (ironically, the Dwarves that ARE insane, the fallen Dark Dwarven Clan, are more stoic compared to these because they have no mind of their own). The queen of the Dwarves just did a dance and sang to Seth about how her daughter should follow him on his quest. Their CAPITAL WAS JUST OVERRUN. They're just silly. It makes sense though: they don't care about death. They're all very religious and feel that death is just another step that will bring them to their Mother Terra, and that is the best thing that could happen to them.

Also I changed their physiology a bit. They're still stout bearded people, but they're more akin to golems. A Dwarven couple chisels their child out of a stone of their choice, and dips him into the Fountain of Souls. That child then comes to life, and grows up to maturity in 12 years, to live for roughly 100-150 years. Their stone becomes flesh, and their hair takes on the color of the stone they were hewn from. When they die they become a statue that's then placed in a statuary in the Mountainhome.

Also there are no genders. At age 12, the Dwarf decided "EH I WANNA BE A GIRL". And if they decide to be female, they grow out their beards because their Mother Terra, Goddess of the Earth, loves beards. If they're male they grow out their hair and shave their beard, because their Father Heral, the God of Life, has long hair and no beard. The men stay at home and do the things to help keep their family alive, while the women go out and work for their family.

Yyyyyeah this is a weird post that no one's gonna read but I just love what I've done with my Dwarves :D

Taryn
Posted on 08-28-12 03:28 PM, in Link | ID: 24606
Normal User

Red Birdo
RIP
Fat Lesbian

That's pretty cool, actually. I like doing interesting things with cultures in my conworld of Interran.

Like, I have a culture where women shave their heads and are fierce fighters, and men have long hair and stay home taking care of the children. I have a race of goblins, but they're white and furry rather than green/grey and reptilian. I have cat people, and rather than being the Japanese "human with cat ears and furry tail" they're covered entirely in fur and have cat claws, and they climb very tall trees and live in a village in the trees.

Marzen64
Posted on 08-31-12 08:10 PM, in Link | ID: 25099
Normal User

Most of my cultures are the normal generic "fantasy" people. I have the Britania-style Humans who worship a single God, are pretty snooty and high and mighty. They're also completely sacrilegious because they worship the God of Justice but pretty much don't follow any of his teachings. GUESS WHAT I BASED THAT AROUND OF.

We got snooty Wood-Elves, we for friendly and kind Frost-Elves, we got the Drow (Dark-Elves), we got dark skinned proud warrior race guys from the desert, we got Dwarves, we got dumb Orcs, we got clever and evil Goblins, we got Merfolk (who are based around the Russians, humorously. Almost every race has a specific accent related to real life), the Grey (basically Magical Americans), and the Aknivarians, who look like Asians and are all about capitalism and scientific progress.

The only race I kinda made for myself are the Gecken. They're basically lizard people who are good with machines, cousins of the Dwarves. Everything else is like "yeeaahhhh seen it", which makes me feel bad. It's all been done, y'know how it is.

Next Jen
Posted on 06-30-13 02:43 PM, in Link | ID: 34441
Normal User
Trudging Scribe

I've been offered a contract for my first book by an independent publishing house called Black Rose Writing!

Taryn
Posted on 06-30-13 06:23 PM, in Link | ID: 34443
Normal User

Red Birdo
RIP
Fat Lesbian

Congratulations Anya! ^_^

I haven't worked on my conworld in a while... College killed my interest in writing, unfortunately. Especially this one class.

Next Jen
Posted on 07-08-13 03:07 PM, in Link | ID: 34617
Normal User
Trudging Scribe

Thanks!

Before I was contacted, I commissioned someone to work on the cover, just in case I went the self publishing route, like I did with a book a poems that I put out on Amazon (Donkey and Dragons). He finished up the cover art this weekend and it can been seen here.

Taryn
Posted on 07-09-13 10:12 AM, in Link | ID: 34632
Normal User

Red Birdo
RIP
Fat Lesbian

That looks pretty awesome ^_^

Will that one still be used for the book, or was it only if you were being self-published?

Next Jen
Posted on 07-10-13 03:41 AM, in Link | ID: 34641
Normal User
Trudging Scribe

I asked my soon-to-be publisher about the book cover and they said that they will consider it.

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - Creativity and Artwork Showcase! - Writers Unite!

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.073 seconds. (821KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 166, rows: 597/631, time: 0.053 seconds.