Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,324
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-28-24 04:52 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in Super Mario Bros. 3 Hacking | 1 bot

Main - Super Mario Bros. 3 Hacking - Super Mario Bros. 3Mix
Next newer thread | Next older thread

southbird
Posted on 06-05-14 05:44 PM, in Link | ID: 66242
Normal User
Newcomer

Level: 6

EXP: 739
Next: 168

Since: 04-07-12

Last post: 3582 days
Last view: 2977 days
Hey guys. Just figured I should post this here in case you haven't seen it elsewhere.

Super Mario Bros. 3Mix 1.0 is out!

Download and information available at: http://sonicepoch.com/sm3mix/

Or: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2068/

YouTube vids

To steal my own description:

Super Mario Bros. 3Mix is a large-scale hack that changes and adds lots of features to Super Mario Bros. 3, and pays homage to many past and (relative) FUTURE Mario titles, while attempting to remain faithful in spirit to the look and feel of Super Mario Bros. 3.

* All new levels (and a few “remixed” Mario 3 levels somewhere in there)
* Many new songs added from other Mario games (kept some SMB3 classics!)
* Play as Mario, Luigi, or Toad (cosmetic only) in any configuration
* New power-ups (Penguin replaces Frog, Carrot replaces Tanooki)
* Star Coins (which are used to unlock portions of the game!)
* Ability to re-enter past worlds (with level completion intact!)
* Ability to re-enter past levels (to get all of your Star Coins)
* Alternate exits in some levels
* Ability to save progress
* Many new enemies, typically some special ones for the world theme
* All new bosses (many are “remixes” of bosses from other Mario games)
* All kinds of gameplay changes to meet the theme of a level/world!

Got any questions or comments about 3Mix or even the disassembly, fire away.

Googie
Posted on 06-05-14 06:41 PM, in Link | ID: 66243
Normal User

Giant Koopa
Keeping ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003...
Level: 70

EXP: 2905870
Next: 109941

Since: 08-07-12

Last post: 167 days
Last view: 26 days
I played your demo & I made it all the way up to that space world, so starting over won't be no sweat. This hack shows you put time & effort into this, not to mention a lot of love. ^_^

Emuz
Posted on 06-06-14 12:43 AM, in Link | ID: 66294
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13210776
Next: 309723

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 115 days
Last view: 16 hours
I haven't had the chance to play it yet (it's on my list for sure), but I've very much been interested in the project as soon as I was linked to it. I am happy you decided to share your disASM of the game as well. You did a very good job with the blending of the all the new elements to match the original NES SMB3 style.

I can wait to check out the final version!

The Dynamic Profile Administrator™

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

southbird
Posted on 06-06-14 02:16 PM, in Link | ID: 66334
Normal User
Newcomer

Posted by Googie
I played your demo & I made it all the way up to that space world, so starting over won't be no sweat.

If "demo" = "beta" (and I'm assuming that since you said "space world", which wasn't in what I called the demo version), you shouldn't have to start over. There's really only a few bug fixes between "beta" and "1.0."

Posted by Emuz
I am happy you decided to share your disASM of the game as well.

It would have been a waste I think not to share it. The amount of time and effort I put into getting it done was fairly intense. I have mentioned elsewhere I was inspired by the efforts of folks at Sonic Retro and the disassembly they did of Sonic 2. I tried to make it the best it could possibly be, replacing addresses with labels to make it flexible, and commenting the hell out of it.

One confusing thing I found recently was someone on another forum that posted in 2012 that they thought the labels actually took away from the disassembly, that fixed addresses were "better", especially for making ROM/RAM maps. I don't see any way that fixed addresses make it better -- it makes it inflexible and difficult to change things globally. Plus if a ROM/RAM map is all you're worried about, NESASM spits out a listing file of all the labels and their corresponding addresses... I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that opinion is flawed.

Posted by Googie
This hack shows you put time & effort into this, not to mention a lot of love. ^_^

Posted by Emuz
You did a very good job with the blending of the all the new elements to match the original NES SMB3 style.

Yes! It was sort of a way to fulfill some childhood dreams, and I worked hard to make it as legit as possible. That's why I didn't do large-scale reinvention like DahrkDaiz. Not saying I don't find his stuff very cool as well, we just had different philosophies and goals in our respective projects. :)

If you really want to trace back, there's a few levels that are actually from paper drawings I did when I was like 10 or so... I managed to hold onto some of them for ~20 years, just waiting for a moment I could make them reality. Of course, they were strictly Mario 3 themed, as most of the other stuff I sourced from didn't exist yet.

DahrkDaiz
Posted on 06-06-14 02:51 PM, in Link | ID: 66339
Normal User

Shyguy

Level: 23

EXP: 59592
Next: 8131

Since: 07-14-12

Last post: 3292 days
Last view: 3107 days
Posted by southbird

One confusing thing I found recently was someone on another forum that posted in 2012 that they thought the labels actually took away from the disassembly, that fixed addresses were "better", especially for making ROM/RAM maps. I don't see any way that fixed addresses make it better -- it makes it inflexible and difficult to change things globally. Plus if a ROM/RAM map is all you're worried about, NESASM spits out a listing file of all the labels and their corresponding addresses... I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that opinion is flawed.

Who ever said this is probably thinking from the view point of using the addresses to hack the rom rather than modifying the source to build a brand new file. The labeling you used is vastly superior. I have a Visual Studio project that I use and anytime I need to modify an aspect of the game I simply do a global find for certain keywords and I'm able to find what I'm looking for. Not to mention that relying on addresses becomes instantly inconvenient the moment you modify the source as the addresses no longer point to the correct places.

I've played some of the demo. Only some as I use most of my little bit of free time trying to work on my own project. I do go back and trudge through a few levels every now and then. Plus, I enjoy the custom music the most of all.

southbird
Posted on 06-06-14 11:34 PM, in Link | ID: 66389
Normal User
Newcomer

Posted by DahrkDaiz
Who ever said this is probably thinking from the view point of using the addresses to hack the rom rather than modifying the source to build a brand new file. The labeling you used is vastly superior. I have a Visual Studio project that I use and anytime I need to modify an aspect of the game I simply do a global find for certain keywords and I'm able to find what I'm looking for. Not to mention that relying on addresses becomes instantly inconvenient the moment you modify the source as the addresses no longer point to the correct places.

Yup. That's how I feel too. Also sounds like you have a nice organized setup there. I did the whole disassembly and 3Mix in a text editor, heh! An IDE of some sort would have been nice.

Posted by DahrkDaiz
I've played some of the demo. Only some as I use most of my little bit of free time trying to work on my own project.

I know that feeling... 3Mix was pretty much a second full time job, especially as I made a serious push starting in January. Pretty much got in the cycle of come home day job, brew a pot of coffee, and get cracking on 3Mix...

Posted by DahrkDaiz
I do go back and trudge through a few levels every now and then. Plus, I enjoy the custom music the most of all.

Glad you enjoy the music. :) Those could often be pretty time consuming to make. To first get a "draft" of the song that even worked in the SMB3 music engine and then to get it sound ... good. The "purple coin" theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_-SSqrxsQ) for example took 4 hours to get right. But it's definitely one of my favorites.

Also a random note, someone apparently made a cart for the game. I don't know anything about it, had nothing to do with it (I certainly would have suggested an "on model" title font, lol), I was just Googling 3Mix and hit upon it:

http://imgur.com/a/Y0rOu#0

DahrkDaiz
Posted on 06-06-14 11:52 PM, in Link | ID: 66390
Normal User

Shyguy

Level: 23

EXP: 59592
Next: 8131

Since: 07-14-12

Last post: 3292 days
Last view: 3107 days
Ha! I came across the exact same image! People are quick to put things on cart it seems.

Any ideas on what your next project might be? Possibly an SMB3Mix 2?

southbird
Posted on 06-07-14 12:32 AM, in Link | ID: 66395
Normal User
Newcomer

Posted by DahrkDaiz
Ha! I came across the exact same image! People are quick to put things on cart it seems.

I was actually trying to do this myself with an EPROM burner. Using a cart for a game called "Magician." (A should-be-compatible TKROM board.) Partial success in I was able to desolder CHRROM and replace it with an EPROM of the original data. However for some reason PRGROM didn't seem to work right, and I triple-checked my wiring. Oh well. I might revisit it or just wait for someone to do it for me.

Posted by DahrkDaiz
Any ideas on what your next project might be? Possibly an SMB3Mix 2?

I haven't really thought about it. I'm mostly soaking up 3Mix as it permeates its selective areas of the Internet. In the meantime, I'm actually looking at modern tech like Monogame (I know, so boring if it's not 8-bit, eh?) But we'll see.

Although what I'd love to do, but haven't really pursued because of the tedium of it, would be to get SMB3 running natively as 8086 code with some hookups to run in DOS in CGA, EGA, and VGA modes. My dream is for that gigantic full height floppy in my IBM 5150 to churn Mario 3. Although I question whether there's enough bandwidth in that old clunker to render a game like Mario 3 without restrictions like no scrolling. An XT type Tandy 1000 might be the lowest that is actually feasible.

I actually did use a utility to search and replace 6502 opcodes for 8086 ones and it assembles. But of course that doesn't mean anything since there's plenty of arbitrary stuff like writes to the MMC3 that doesn't exist, no PPU, etc. So it'd be a lot of effort mostly just to amuse me. I also don't really have a good dev environment that would make developing and executing 16-bit 8086 code easy.

Having said all that, a secondary vision I had is recoding SMB3 in C, which might have uses beyond making a 16-bit DOS version. But again, that's a lot of effort, and not sure who might find it useful.

Emuz
Posted on 06-07-14 12:40 AM, in Link | ID: 66396
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13210776
Next: 309723

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 115 days
Last view: 16 hours
Posted by DahrkDaiz
Who ever said this is probably thinking from the view point of using the addresses to hack the rom rather than modifying the source to build a brand new file. The labeling you used is vastly superior. I have a Visual Studio project that I use and anytime I need to modify an aspect of the game I simply do a global find for certain keywords and I'm able to find what I'm looking for. Not to mention that relying on addresses becomes instantly inconvenient the moment you modify the source as the addresses no longer point to the correct places./quote]

I agree as well. The fixed address method to me feels clucky, and 'old school'. Once we started dealing with the concepts of project based hacks and code mods I don't know why we would want to ever go back. I know the effort is very huge to perform a documented disassemble in a format that is clean and easy to work with. If I was more skilled of a low level programmer, or indeed if I work on a ROM hacking project like this, it would likely follow this fine example.

The Dynamic Profile Administrator™

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - Super Mario Bros. 3 Hacking - Super Mario Bros. 3Mix

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.055 seconds. (817KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 117, rows: 547/580, time: 0.040 seconds.