Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 9,015,889
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
04-29-24 03:49 AM
Guest: Register | Login

Main - Posts by Phyresis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Phyresis
Posted on 06-14-14 09:28 PM, in What's on your mind? Link | ID: 67037
Normal User
1490?!
Level: 41

EXP: 466313
Next: 13832

Since: 06-11-14

Last post: 3112 days
Last view: 3098 days
Posted by Taryn
Posted by Phyresis
I see those gold dollars with a fair bit of regularity. I mean, not a huge amount, but they're not terribly rare. They're not like half-dollar coins or anything in terms of how often they're used.

Where is that? Here I never see them. I did get a half dollar in change once though.

I love the gold dollars, I think they look like pirate treasure ^_^ Not like the boring, dirty-looking $1 bills.
I see a fair few people using them when I'm college. I think it's because the vending machines, mercifully, give those out instead of large piles of quarters if your change comes out to $1 or more, and it's a lot cheaper to buy drinks from the vending machine than from the cafeteria most of the time.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-14-14 09:34 PM, in It Took Me This Long to Get to 1k?! Link | ID: 67041
Normal User
1490?!

I would think that amount of spreeing would require you to take ALL the caffeine in your state.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-15-14 01:51 AM, in June KCS Rankings (6/30 - It's all about me! :P) Link | ID: 67055
Normal User
1490?!

I'm not even noticing that much, but I guess seeing myself not at "one post ever" means I'm kinda integrating myself into the community at least SOMEwhat.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-15-14 01:56 AM, in What did you do today? Link | ID: 67056
Normal User
1490?!

Today I didn't really do anything. But last night, before I went to bed, I caught up with the two anime series I'm watching this spring.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:27 AM, in June KCS Rankings (6/30 - It's all about me! :P) Link | ID: 67096
Normal User
1490?!

He'll show up soon. He knows his position has been compromised.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:28 AM, in How's the weather today? Link | ID: 67097
Normal User
1490?!

Hot. The air feels a bit heavy, too -- or maybe it's just that hot out.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:30 AM, in What's on your mind? Link | ID: 67099
Normal User
1490?!

I've been playing a LOT of online games later. I'm not sure how to feel about that, since a lot of them have really... questionable communities.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:31 AM, in June KCS Rankings (6/30 - It's all about me! :P) Link | ID: 67101
Normal User
1490?!

At least getting a one-man army around isn't too hard.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:34 AM, in Stay warm this winter with an Intel gaming PC. Stay cool in summer with AMD. Link | ID: 67105
Normal User
1490?!

I think that'd be pretty well impossible for anyone. Unless they were telekinetic.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:34 AM, in What's on your mind? Link | ID: 67107
Normal User
1490?!

Yeah, that's one way to put it. A very polite way to put it.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:35 AM, in June KCS Rankings (6/30 - It's all about me! :P) Link | ID: 67108
Normal User
1490?!

And when there's someone else offline to bounce off of, too.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:36 AM, in Nightmare Mangle confirmed for SquidEmpress: The Game! Link | ID: 67110
Normal User
1490?!

If it was squid-themed and pink, you would?

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 12:56 AM, in Nightmare Mangle confirmed for SquidEmpress: The Game! Link | ID: 67117
Normal User
1490?!

A pink blooper would be cute as fuck.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 01:11 AM, in Nightmare Mangle confirmed for SquidEmpress: The Game! Link | ID: 67122
Normal User
1490?!

Why, it's somewhere in your post!

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 02:08 AM, in Nightmare Mangle confirmed for SquidEmpress: The Game! Link | ID: 67129
Normal User
1490?!

I guess they do.

Hey, wait a minute

why am I still the one being asked questions when it's not my thread

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 09:55 AM, in What Are You Playing Now? Link | ID: 67138
Normal User
1490?!

I've really gotten sick of this whole design ethic lately where games just want you to die all the goddamn time. I would so much rather be given something that well and truly challenges me mentally.

Speaking of dying a lot, I beat Metroid Prime hard mode today. Total deaths: 16. Died three times against Metroid Prime, but it was actually a satisfying type of difficult. I kind of had to think a little, plan out how to use my resources. Well, that and the game wouldn't stop giving me like a million fucking missiles for several runs when what I needed was HEALTH. Omega Pirate was about raw skill, but unless you knew how to prioritize targets and how to best deal with them, this wouldn't have helped you.

(Meta Ridley, though, who I usually find harder than Prime, was a total pusswag and was more tedious than anything.)

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 11:05 AM, in The Ragtag Bunch of Misfits (rev. 2 of 06-16-14 11:05 AM by Phyresis) Link | ID: 67146
Normal User
1490?!

Name: Adel Volker
Race: Human
Sex: Male

Class Name: Shikari
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral → Chaotic Good (shift defined below)

Appearance: Adel is fairly tall, standing at somewhere around 6'3", with a moderate build. He has blond hair, about shoulder length (a bit longer), and hazel eyes. Said hair is always really disordered. He tries to keep it tidy, but it never seems to work. Perhaps the most obvious physical feature is a scar on his left hand, like one left by a knife -- a sign of a blood pact; it being on the left hand, he claims, is a sign of particularly deep trust (after all, it meant that the person whom he was joining hands with probably still had the use of their dominant hand (thanks statistics!) and could possibly attempt to injure him).

In terms of clothing, typically he wears relatively loose-fitting clothing, partially influenced by the fact that a fight could break out at any time. He usually wears black T-shirts and pants that fit loosely around the legs (but tightly around the waist -- it'd be all for naught if they dropped around his ankles!).

Personality: Adel is a smart-alecky type with an occasionally foul mouth. He tends to keep quiet a lot of the time and leans toward being all-business while on a job, but he loosens up a lot afterwards. He also has a tendency toward being a little less than careful as a fighter, being very confident in himself and in his capabilities. It definitely helps that he was well-trained. He has a strong interest in gambling, but he doesn't often engage in it, probably because, for a time, he didn't have money, and so he is not keen on waste. Not that that always stops him, of course. He also really does not like leaving loose ends and loathes not seeing a job through all the way, even if it can't be helped.

History: Adel Volker was born in 2009, in a world where it had become illegal to use any long-range gun larger than a light carbine. It was a world where humans fight with swords and sorcery and the like, just... very heavily modernized.

The boy known as Adel Volker may very well never have officially been named at all. He was put up for adoption by his family, where one of a group of local scientists adopted him for use in a secret project, "Project Argentum." He wasn't the only child adopted; a wide variety of children from the Eastern seaboard of the United States were also adopted, drafted into a secret military project to make the greatest soldiers the world had ever known. To accomplish this, they trained each child in an esoteric set of skills, hoping to make them the best at those. They would suffer at others, but what they were capable of would be fairly unexpected. In addition, each was taught to use a magical power. Adel was taught to use the element of lightning and to fight using a specialized style based on not using hands, using large blades. He was taught to move fast and quiet, to infiltrate and, should he be detected, to end those who saw him before they had a chance to use that knowledge to their advantage.

Unfortunately, military projects like that needed funding to survive. Fifteen years on, when the government gutted Project Argentum and several other secret projects, the subjects had to be sent out into the world. Each was secretly sent away to a different country with false papers to create a false identity for each of them. Adel was sent, naturally, to Germany, but he could not seem to fit in very well. Eventually, penniless and with no connections, he snuck aboard a plane to Seattle. In this version of Earth, Seattle was probably about as much the stereotype as you could imagine at base -- rainy and dark all the time. Seattle was a young city, too; established in the mid-to-late 20th century, it owed its existence to many, many technicians who developed various ways to harness the constant rain to make a city so gloomy one worth living in.

Arriving in Seattle, Adel remained penniless, with nothing to his name but phony papers and a ratty, oversized shirt. He began to take odd jobs to get by, sleeping in relatively dry places or under cover of his own making. Saving every penny he could, he found a katar in a pawn shop, and it was then that he began to take a more dangerous path, becoming a part of the criminal underworld. It started with another false name, a new codename, and an act of shrewdness; by undercutting another hired crook to get a job for a particularly cutthroat politician, Adel secured a job to try and turn the tide of an election. He'd only wanted his opponent impossible to compete. Adel made really sure of that. It would take a very special kind of magician to do that.

Sure, it was a risky, stupid move, but the act brought "Faceless" a surprising amount of fame in the criminal underworld. An apparent rookie, so efficient and cheap? He had lots of work, doing all kinds of slimy work. The pay was pretty good, which was all Adel needed right now. He could consider moral ramifications later.

2031, though, was the year that everything changed. It was then that Adel Volker met a very important someone from his past. His name was Yourei Izayoi, and he was one of the Project Argentum children. He was a primarily defensively-oriented fighter, with shadow magic. He and two friends he'd met in Japan (where he'd, of course, been shipped after Project Argentum ended) were renting a penthouse apartment and taking various jobs to cover for rent. There was something fun, he reckoned, about that kind of lifestyle. Yourei had been given a job to make that long-dead political rival seem alive; Adel's job, of course, was to kill the shadowmage responsible for that.

At this moment, he decided that he would quit his job and join Yourei and his company. They had been brothers in the past; they would become brothers once again, and brothers, they reasoned, had to stick together. The new scars on their hands were proof of that.

Also in 2031, strange creatures began to emerge. Things had taken a turn for the Shadowrun. For the first time, humankind dredged up large armaments from the vaults, but they could do nothing against these spirit creatures. It took magical energy to destroy them. Mages in the public had become rare, and the military would not assist. The Argentum Corporation, as Adel and Yourei's group came to be known, took up the cause of defending their new home from these beings. It was here that Adel realized that his course was perhaps wrong -- that he would be better served being a hero to these people. After all, this city had grown to become his, in a way.

For years, then, the Argentum Corporation defended the city of Seattle from the rooftops. They took payment for their smaller jobs, but accepted no payment for destroying the spirit-monsters. Around this time, an interest in magical relics built; many requests begged the Argentum Corporation to get hold of ones for them. Some were dredged from the harbor, some found in pawn shops with no awareness of what they owned, but most were claimed by crime. The value of these objects had gone up so much that only the wealthiest held them -- mostly corporates. As many missions were spent clearing the city of unnatural aberrations as were spent liberating large, ancient "pieces of art" from well-defended corporate bastions and attempting to make it seem like nothing had ever happened. Adel never bothered to consider this anything less than moral, and nor did anyone else -- except the artifacts' prior owners, who often didn't even notice.

Sometimes, maybe Adel worries about his past catching up to him. Until then, though, no big deal.

Skillset: Adel's class is listed as "Shikari," after the big game hunters of India. Though he probably leans toward a thief in about half of his skillset and a good majority of the work he took prior to this storyline, it describes what he did, he feels, reasonably well. A "thief" aims for small targets; a "thief" picks pockets. Plus, a "thief" sounds common. What do you call someone who routinely steals something larger? If a common thief hunts pheasants and similar, then Adel hunted the Big Five game.

Adel's combat abilities are about what you would expect from a thief, but without the stealing -- save for one ability that resembles Mug from the Final Fantasy games, although a bit more "punch them so hard that the money is evicted from their wallets in a ballistic manner." He fights with three major types of weapons -- katars, pata, and handguns. Adel primarily fights using a single katar in his right hand with a pistol at the ready for use in the left hand. When he fights using pata, he dual-wields them exclusively; he only ever learned to fight using two and seemingly can't get the hang of anything else even if his life depends on it. Switching between, er, loadouts is not a simple process, so Adel reserves the dual pata style for when he expects large groups of targets (his pata have much longer reach than the katar, and fighting large groups with the handgun is just not practical).

In addition, though, he does carry some special equipment on his person, which he may switch to if the need arises. He possesses a device that can shoot a very long, highly flexible metallic wire -- somewhat akin to a grappling hook if it was ballistic, or maybe the Hookshot if it shot a highly conductive wire and didn't pull you in. Its main purpose, actually, is to conduct electricity from Adel's one other ability that leans remotely supernatural. Essentially, it's used to generate an enormous magnetic field. That said, though, it's pretty useful in its own right -- it's tipped with a fairly strong head that makes it also a bit like a harpoon. It's not especially practical for direct combat, though, since it must be set up on a tripod or something similar.

Thanks to extensive magical training, Adel is capable of using powerful electrical/lightning-element magic, be that calling lightning bolts from above to strike targets, "chain lightning"-type effects, or just producing an electric current.

He tends toward being fast and powerful, but frail. Think a Myrmidon with a bunch of extra shit as described above.

Gear:
-Messenger Bag of Holding: A custom-made item, this appears to be a simple messenger bag, but it actually has a larger capacity on the inside than on the outside. In this are stored, rather tidily, all of his other gear.
-Twin Pata: Two pata (noted above), both with 39-inch-long blades. The blades are solid steel with flamelike designs etched into them. The gauntlets have three golden streaks on the side that points outward (i.e. that would go over the back of the wrist).
-Katar: A single katar, wielded in the right hand. This Indian push dagger is far more ornate-looking than the pata, with a padded brass hilt and golden spiraling patterns with a slight resemblance to a tiger -- possibly referencing how killing a tiger with one was considered a sign of superior skill.
-Pistol: A refurbished Luger P08 pistol. By now, none of the parts of this 125-year-old pistol are actually from the original weapon. A reliable medium-range weapon. Can fire eight shots before needing to reload.
-Bullets: Several clips of custom-made reproductions of the Luger's 9x19mm rounds. About 800 in total.
-Wire Launcher: As described above. Some mechanisms make it very safe to remove, but increase the setup time required.

Phyresis
Posted on 06-16-14 06:46 PM, in What's on your mind? Link | ID: 67168
Normal User
1490?!

Posted by SquidEmpress
I'd imagine they are all complaining about each other. :P
Oh, probably.

Also some of them have the worst fucking teamwork possible. I should stop playing team-based games, I think, is what I'm being told.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Main - Posts by Phyresis

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.079 seconds. (1061KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 170, rows: 506/538, time: 0.057 seconds.