Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,952,622
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-28-24 10:43 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in msg db 'Computer Address',0xa | 2 bots

Main - msg db 'Computer Address',0xa - An attempt to dual boot Windows with.. Windows
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Thierry
Posted on 07-11-19 04:31 AM, in Link | ID: 149563
Normal User

Level: 107

EXP: 12887308
Next: 204003

Since: 03-19-13

Last post: 34 days
Last view: 2 days
hello again.

so, I now have a new laptop that doesn't require heavy duty pc coolers that I can take with me to vacation. that's good.
unfortunately, it lacks the data I use everyday on my old PC, and not having it handy during vacation would set me back quite a lot in my routine. in other words, I lack the time to make a proper setup (I'm also prone to forgetting key elements).

I've restorted to trying something I am unsure would theoretically work. and that is, to dual-boot my old computer's hard drive on my new laptop.

you see, my laptop comes with the boot drive being a SSD, and the storage drive being a HDD. so I made attempts at swapping the latter with the old PC's hard drive, which went fine.
however, while I can access the drive and assign it as storage drive, I cannot seem to select it from the 'Create new boot option' menu in the BIOS. the drive does not show up in the selection of bootable drives.
I feel I am lacking something, but I don't know what. I am running out of time as it is, so any help figuring stuff out would be greatly appreciated.

Emuz
Posted on 07-11-19 12:17 PM, in Link | ID: 149566
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13211137
Next: 309362

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 115 days
Last view: 22 hours
Not knowing the full situation.. The first thing I would check is if Safeboot is enabled.. If so make sure to disable that just in case there are trust issues. If your older computer was using Bios based booting methods it could also be you don't have legacy boot enabled. See if that's the case make sure that's enabled.

Even if you get windows to boot from your old install be prepared for lots of driver stuff to resolve.. and others oddities. Windows doesn't play well when you change the hardware either so expect reactivation prompts and all that crap too. (Also let's say if it is a 'activation required' install you only get 2 activation before you have to call microsoft and beg for another..) It could be more of pain than copying your data and taking it with you.. so keep that option in mind if you can't get it to work.

Windows is not like a Unix Variant.. it does not play well when you try to transplant it.. so take it one step at a time and keep the possible pitfalls in mind! :)

The Dynamic Profile Administratorâ„¢

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

Hiryuu
Posted on 07-11-19 05:52 PM, in (rev. 2 of 07-11-19 05:54 PM by Hiryuu) Link | ID: 149567
Normal User

Level: 28

EXP: 124950
Next: 6388

Since: 07-15-12

Last post: 711 days
Last view: 530 days
Posted by Emuz
Windows is not like a Unix Variant.. it does not play well when you try to transplant it.. so take it one step at a time and keep the possible pitfalls in mind! :)

I'd agree with this if W10 wasn't actually somewhat decent about this. I've had a lot of hard drive transplants work from one system to another so long as the operating system in question being used was this. Anything on back, not counting 8.x because I have little experience dealing with the OS for as trash it was in general, would be problematic but the above SHOULD work if that is the OS from the old unit.

If it's anything else then it will like blue-screen the minute you try to go into it, probably with a 0x7B STOP error or similar for not being able to mount the drive properly. It also depends on if the old machine with Legacy boot exclusively or if it had UEFI like most new ones use for boot. If you have Legacy on the old drive, it's still possible that you might be able to boot from it but you would have to disable Secure Boot from the BIOS and allow for the Legacy Boot ROM to be enabled, which is not recommended for security reasons but might get what you're looking to do from this.

Short of that, I'm not entirely certain. I'd need more information based on the above to know if it would work for you with absolute certainty but I've seen it done before, depending on what your old drive's configuration was and what it was out of.

Danielle
Posted on 07-11-19 05:56 PM, in Link | ID: 149569
Normal User

Miracles Happen
When you believe...
Level: 254

EXP: 263230686
Next: 1552639

Since: 07-16-12

Last post: 118 days
Last view: 118 days
And if you're trying to boot anything older than Vista, do keep in mind that UEFI will not support XP or older operating systems (it's also generally a better idea to install older OSes first before newer ones, as a rule of thumb)

"Miracles happen, when you believe..."
YouTube

Hiryuu
Posted on 07-11-19 05:58 PM, in (rev. 3 of 07-11-19 06:00 PM by Hiryuu) Link | ID: 149572
Normal User

Level: 28

EXP: 124950
Next: 6388

Since: 07-15-12

Last post: 711 days
Last view: 530 days
Was Vista even supported for UEFI boot natively?

EDIT: Wow, looks like it was so long as you had a GPT format with SP1 or better. Never saw one come into the depot. Had a few W7 ones show up in GPT formatted drives, though.

Thierry
Posted on 07-11-19 11:15 PM, in (rev. 2 of 03-01-22 04:01 AM by Thierry) Link | ID: 149587
Normal User

Level: 107

EXP: 12887308
Next: 204003

Since: 03-19-13

Last post: 34 days
Last view: 2 days
Thanks for all the replies, notably Emuz.

Posted by Emuz
If your older computer was using Bios based booting methods it could also be you don't have legacy boot enabled. See if that's the case make sure that's enabled.

The install isn't too old, but the hardware is.

My BIOS panel appears to be lacking the "Launch CSM" option, and I cannot find any UEFI option to switch to Legacy. Arg.

Posted by Hiryuu
I'd agree with this if W10 wasn't actually somewhat decent about this. I've had a lot of hard drive transplants work from one system to another so long as the operating system in question being used was this.

That puts my PC in a grey area as my Windows 10 install is an upgrade from a semi-hacked Windows 8.1. A friend of dad's is the one who installed W8 on it and my dad wasn't happy when he heard I upgraded to Windows 10. Not that I regret it.
Point is though, I reckon a bunch of the configuration from Win8 ported over. Legacy windows apps, for example, are all enabled by default unlike they would be on a fresh install of W10. I don't know if that kinda stuff would mess up the attempt to port over.

Moline
Posted on 01-02-21 02:34 AM, in Link | ID: 163778
Normal User

Paragoomba

Level: 18

EXP: 26841
Next: 3056

Since: 12-19-17

Last post: 275 days
Last view: 110 days
Posted by Hiryuu
Was Vista even supported for UEFI boot natively?

EDIT: Wow, looks like it was so long as you had a GPT format with SP1 or better. Never saw one come into the depot. Had a few W7 ones show up in GPT formatted drives, though.

Yes it was. When using Rufus to "burn" Vista X64 onto a USB drive, it should auto-select it. However, Vista and 7 have issues with UEFI. I've tried Windows 7 on UEFI with secure boot disabled, but it freezes on the Starting Windows logo screen.

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - msg db 'Computer Address',0xa - An attempt to dual boot Windows with.. Windows

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.055 seconds. (817KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 112, rows: 527/563, time: 0.043 seconds.