Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,981,479
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
04-16-24 08:31 AM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in AcmlmBoard Developer Zone | 1 bot

Main - AcmlmBoard Developer Zone - Acmlmboard copyright/license
Next newer thread | Next older thread

NinCollin
Posted on 10-21-21 12:32 AM, in (rev. 5 of 10-23-21 02:16 AM by NinCollin) Link | ID: 165812
Normal User

Paratroopa

Level: 25

EXP: 87573
Next: 2047

Since: 09-06-17

Last post: 53 days
Last view: 21 days
I was just pondering things today, when I realized that none of the mainline Acmlmboards have any real license...or any license at all for that matter (ABXD does have a BSD license, but that's about all.) Neither the 0.X, 1.X, nor 2.X branches have any license, and it isn't clear as to what exactly you can do with the software, or how you can modify and distribute it.

My Acmlmboard 0.7 fork (which I've been farting around with on-and-off for a few years now; still need to make more releases available) is part 2000's Acmlm code and mostly my rewritten code. However, I've peaked at 1.92 and Acmlmboard II's source and database a bit to see how certain things are done and taken influence from them (and copied the poll SQL tables from 1.92, which I never ended up implementing, along a few schemes and layout PHP snippets)

I'm eventually going to add a credits.php page listing all my inspirations, whether SQL tidbits, peeking at PHP, or PHP snippets.

So here's what I want confirmation on: since code contained within my fork (or any other mainline fork) is copyrighted by others and under no license, it's not possible to release my fork as free software, only as "freeware" (with the respective copyright notices included.)

Edit: I created an example "nonlicense" for my forum software in my other thread.

Check out some of my websites!
imageimageimage

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - AcmlmBoard Developer Zone - Acmlmboard copyright/license

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.031 seconds. (763KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 59, rows: 470/504, time: 0.026 seconds.