Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,954,098
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-29-24 11:30 AM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in The Officer's Club | 2 bots

Main - The Officer's Club - Autism and other mental disorders (2)
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Pages: 1 2

knuck
Posted on 01-11-12 05:30 PM, in Link | ID: 2488
Normal User

Paragoomba

Level: 20

EXP: 41695
Next: 744

Since: 01-03-12

Last post: 4273 days
Last view: 4254 days
Posted by Liliana
Interesting question. If you think about it, the third world is mostly about farming and hunting. Social skills, which autistic people have problems with, aren't actually needed in that world, so naturally, they won't stand out from the crowd.
That's not what the "third world" you speak of is about. What you're talking about is more likely to be Africa.

Lili~ ♥
Posted on 01-11-12 06:50 PM, in Link | ID: 2496
Normal User
Queen Lesbian of Kafuka
Level: 159

EXP: 51559250
Next: 251507

Since: 01-06-12

Last post: 2726 days
Last view: 1249 days
Urgh. One thing I hate is how my mother goes all rambling about "oh, you're fine, you have no issues at all, so why not quit all this help crap and go on your own"

Here's a hint: no, I am not fine. Yes, I do need all the help I can get.

knuck
Posted on 01-11-12 07:03 PM, in Link | ID: 2497
Normal User

Paragoomba

Level: 20

EXP: 41695
Next: 744

Last post: 4273 days
Last view: 4254 days
Posted by Liliana
Urgh. One thing I hate is how my mother goes all rambling about "oh, you're fine, you have no issues at all, so why not quit all this help crap and go on your own"

Most people I know will just say "you're being a wuss". You should just ignore them, it's pure ignorance of their part; they're incapable of acknowledging mental disorders as true illnesses.

Legion
Posted on 01-11-12 07:34 PM, in (rev. 2 of 01-11-12 07:35 PM by Legion) Link | ID: 2504
Normal User

Level: 16

EXP: 17550
Next: 2706

Last post: 4459 days
Last view: 4459 days
Posted by knuck
Posted by Liliana

Most people I know will just say "you're being a wuss". You should just ignore them, it's pure ignorance of their part; they're incapable of acknowledging mental disorders as true illnesses.

I think this sums it up:

While I don't have any mental disorders myself (at least not that I know of), I really can't stand when people who know nothing of them casually dismiss them. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Nick
Posted on 01-12-12 08:31 AM, in Link | ID: 2594
Banned

Level: 33

EXP: 221122
Next: 8057

Last post: 3547 days
Last view: 3547 days
Wow, that's like a pretty awesome comic. Thanks for linking that Legion. I flipping saved it!

we are trapped in संसार

Serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law.

flan
Posted on 01-16-12 09:43 AM, in Link | ID: 3046
Normal User

Goomba

Level: 15

EXP: 13244
Next: 3140

Since: 01-09-12

Last post: 4409 days
Last view: 4381 days
Posted by Mesia
Posted by GreyMaria
I personally believe that a large portion of "diagnosed" mental disorders are in fact faked.

And honestly, how hard WOULD it be to fake any number of mental disorders? I have a relative who's done just that.

There are several people in my family that have mental disorders (including my mother), and I can assure you--it's not about fake or real, it's whether that person chooses to be functioning or non-functioning. My mother is functioning, but if she stops taking her medicine for a day... holy shit. Two of my cousins are bipolar. One has a wife and a job, the other doesn't do anything but sit at home all day because his parents have money. No ambition whatsoever. Of course the severity of the illness has an influence, but a lot of it comes down to strength of will.

One might say the financial crises, unemployment, foreclosures et al are also a lack of bootstraps. If inner-city kids just had strength of will they wouldn't be stuck in poverty (or jails) for generation upon generation.

Resources and support for mental disorders aren't really a given outside of a rapidly-diminishing middle class, and I've encountered lots of (state) psychiatrists and psychologists who'll make a diagnosis without even trying to communicate with me, saying that "my gestures and posture" are sufficient to make a diagnosis. There's obviously a huge class factor not to mention that the proper medications can be inaccessible--incidentally when you're on welfare you might notice that trendy branded drugs are subsidized and time-tested (and often much less harmful) generics are not, but still cost too much to afford out of pocket.

As for me, I've gone through ptsd diagnoses to major depressive to a more helpful psychiatrist who really helped with fatigue concentration and anxiety issues in conjunction with an underlying neurological disorder.

Scrydan
Posted on 07-22-12 08:53 AM, in Link | ID: 21242
Normal User
Scryforce - A place that still exists. Neat.
Level: 86

EXP: 5934170
Next: 207937

Since: 07-18-12

Last post: 745 days
Last view: 727 days
I asked Emuz if it was okay to add to this thread since it has been awhile since last posted in so I'll add my input on the topic.

I have what I'd call a highly functioning case of Aspergers. As a kid, I was quite hyper and doctors just assumed I was also Autistic since I was a bit...different. I had such a little attention span I believe back then too. I used to take a lot of medicine which pretty much zombfied me. I even didn't eat much because of the stupid pills. Eventually my mother just gave up on the pills and would rather see me "normal". I would say I used to be quite slow to reading people back long ago.

However, I would used to draw all the time and make up adventures. These adventures would eventually lead up to what I'm writing today. However, one day there was some a-hole who was jealous of this one drawing of a huge mountain range behind a village with a river flowing in the middle. He decided to scribble all over it. It had quite an effect on me. I then tended to stay away from people who would disrupt my creative processes but that's not the only reason.

Ever since my mom remarried, I moved from school to school almost every year because of my stepdad. Me being as slow as I was with making friends, this made it even harder to develop social skills. Eventually I just built some sort of defense mechanism that prevented me from being too attached to people.

I'm not sure why but rarely did people breach this barrier I made for myself. Until many years later. I was a freshman at the time in high school and this one fairly nice senior sent me what would be my first ever, love note. This was quite a shock to me. I wasn't used to other people. I didn't get notes of any sort during class. We soon began passing notes whenever possible. I used to have an archive of them but I lost them after my mom passed away back in Nov 2008.

Which leads me to the next phrase of my life which doctors correctly identified it as Aspergers. A few months before 2008, I took some more tests for the first time since 10 years. I think I was diagnosed at 4 or 5. And not much really changed but there wasn't so much insistence of pills from my stepdad. Who is okay but honestly he wasn't very understanding of my condition.

He was the infamous type who was like "tough it out" or you have no excuse for blah blah blah. He was kind at times but his understanding was little to none at all.

When my mother passed away on November 12, 2008 - which was the day before my birthday on the 13th - it sort of awoke me somewhat. It is hard to explain but I changed quite a bit that day. Within like 5 or 6 hours, my dad shown up at the house and surprised me. I didn't see him too much. He was hard working and lived with...well, I won't get into that.

That day changed him too and our family relationship. I came to live with him in Kansas, Olathe. Ironically, that is where I was born. But before then, the funeral. I was happy to see my dad but NOT LIKE THIS. I even remember a few nights ago wishing I could see him. I have nightmares sometimes that I caused this by wishing to see him. It is hard on people but it was quite harder to cop with in my mind. All my plans involving my mom gone. She wouldn't see me graduate from college or get married. I wouldn't be able to ask advice or other things. I was slow to read certain things but this...this was a changing point. I'm not sure what chemistry is involved but something happened after the funeral after I seen her lowered into the earth.

I slowly began to work past my typical problems and worked to talk more with people. I became inspired to write. The side of Aspergers that was beneficial shined. Within the next few years, I became the person who I am today.

Sadly even to this day I'm not free from all my old tribulations. After that day, I pretty much never seen my mother's side of the family again. I felt so isolated from them. Even my step sister hasn't really reached me. Worse is my stepfather didn't wait long to get remarried and was married within like a month or a week. Something about "God telling him to.". :/

My new stepmother (The old one he left because somehow all this happening somehow shaken some sense into him or something. She was never so receptive of me.) was much better and more understanding. However, she liked to push me whenever she gets a chance. She always tried to compare me to her son. Who to be honest, doesn't give a damn about nothing. The problem is, she keeps overlooking my problems she understands and keeps comparing me to her deadbeat son who has different problems. Sure he has his problems but mine are completely different and legit. He is just lazy and "needs anger management".

I once got a bit depressed over it among other things - she pushed me too hard in college - and she tried to get me on anti-depressants. At first I went with them...but then soon realized that they were causing more problems than it was worth. So I decided to ween myself off them slowly. I didn't want to become dependent on them. After about three weeks, I was back to my old self and better than ever. She is now to this day trying harder but to be honest, the only one who is closest to me is my Dad.

I'm much better off than I used to be and have a much better understanding of myself. What got me a bit depressed was lack of understanding of myself and some of my actions. My mind was clouded with little hope and a 80% chance of raining stress. I got over it long ago, almost a year ago, but I never want to get to that point again.

Sorry for that long *novel* of a post. I had a lot to say on the matter and told a little story and got carried away. It is quite late so excuse me if I ramble on a bit in the post.

Main point was:
Many people in my life didn't understand me that well.
Medicine for me in my opinion isn't the answer.
I was expected to pass others who didn't have my disability. Pushed as hard as I would go until possible depression.
I've changed a lot and learned to handle my disability a lot better.
Even better than learn, I'm using it as a way to tap into my creative side more so I can write and draw.
Being less shy and now because of all this, I'm here today not lurking.

Acey
Posted on 07-23-12 08:01 AM, in Link | ID: 21401
Normal User

Level: 8

EXP: 1765
Next: 422

Since: 07-16-12

Last post: 4267 days
Last view: 4255 days

Acey says:

Asperger's/high-functioning autism. I'm actually pretty fucking ashamed of it because of all the assholes on the internet who act like it's an excuse to be an ass...and all the other assholes who say it's not even a thing that exists. -_-

I'm also bipolar (type 2), and I have either an anxiety disorder or possibly purely-obsessional OCD. My current diagnosis is generalized anxiety disorder, but as I'm sure you know, diagnoses can change if more is found out, and purely obsessional OCD seems to make more sense given my symptoms.

As for the bipolar thing, it basically sucks and that's all there is to say on the matter. (Except hypomania. Hypomania is fucking awesome. I wish I could be like that all the time.)

Emuz
Posted on 07-25-12 01:27 AM, in Link | ID: 21554
Site Administrator

11 Hit Combo:
Mother's Rosario
Level: 108

EXP: 13211923
Next: 308576

Since: 12-30-11

Last post: 116 days
Last view: 1 day
Well a lot of people use it as an excuse for acting like that just like you said. They feel that having that as an out they have the right to act like assholes and they can get away with it. (Not always of course. still)

I have bipolar disorder as well. However in my case it's very well managed and it rarely shows. I rarely if ever talk about it. It's something I have that I don't think gives me a pass nor should I be looked at differently for having it. If asked I will tell people about it so not really of shame. I feel it's just something I have to deal with. :)

I do have a touch of the regular OCD as well. That I find annoying, but it's very limited in scope so I don't have to worry about it too much. "POCD" looks worse from the wiki article. It's like having it effect you without a real physical release tied to it :(

I also have anxiety. Right now it seems to only show up in a limited number of situations. (Mostly with girls I like.. [so bloody high school])

(yes indeed bipolar sucks.. however I didn't like the hypomania either.. I tended to be overdriven even at that level since I am passionate naturally. (IE: I did some really stupid things at times lol)

The Dynamic Profile Administrator™

"Never Knows Best"
Note: if you can see this my layout broke. ALL THE CREDITS WILL BE REVEALED!!
'Victory Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Chibi Dance Noriko' by @Haru__Kitsu.
'Deity's Night Out (Featuring Gabbie)'
by @thatsheepagain
Noriko Emotes by @Haru__Kitsu.
Side Bar Noriko by @thatsheepagain
'Noriko's Nature Walk' by @projectTiGER_
Emotive Noriko by @thatsheepagain.
"Space Candy Noriko" by BerryVerrine.
"Super Sharp Noriko" by Xionfes.
A gift illustration from the wonderful EverKinzPony!
"Magical Girl Noriko" by @cute_hospital!
"Patient Chibi Noriko" by @Ruii_ki!
'Dapper '60s Noriko' by @thatsheepagain.
'Shiny Chibi Noriko' by @inioli.
'Flower Veil Noriko' by @Sushiee_.
'Noriko in Realism' by @_Sarybuu.
'Noriko's Midnight Adventure' by @projectTiGER_
'Yukata Noriko' by @yunyunmaru_
'Birthday Wishes Noriko' by @thatsheepagain

Hālian
Posted on 11-20-12 05:53 PM, in Link | ID: 28927
Normal User

Level: 50

EXP: 907204
Next: 40113

Since: 01-04-12

Last post: 1790 days
Last view: 1474 days
Maple Post-o-Matic 9.2

Asperger's/high-functioning autism. I'm actually pretty fucking ashamed of it because of all the assholes on the internet who act like it's an excuse to be an ass...and all the other assholes who say it's not even a thing that exists.

This. I also hate that people dismiss me as an annoying so-and-so merely because I have AS. Especially if we've only talked for all of ten minutes.

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - The Officer's Club - Autism and other mental disorders (2)

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.077 seconds. (830KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 130, rows: 545/579, time: 0.063 seconds.