Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,954,756
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-29-24 01:26 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in General ROM Hacking and Emulation | 1 bot

Main - General ROM Hacking and Emulation - SM64DSe - Super Mario 64 DS editor - now open
Next newer thread | Next older thread

Arisotura
Posted on 02-05-12 10:44 PM, in (rev. 2 of 02-05-12 10:45 PM by Arisotura) Link | ID: 5462
Developer
pancakes
Level: 83

EXP: 5395941
Next: 36280

Since: 01-05-12

Last post: 655 days
Last view: 194 days
So yeah, perhaps some of you already know that project of mine. It's a level editor for Super Mario 64 DS. It's also the first (and currently only) project of mine that didn't fail before its first release.

The latest version is v2.0 beta3. You can get it here: http://kuribo64.cjb.net/downloads/sm64dse_v2.0_beta3.zip
(older versions for nostalgic people)

And here is a screenshot of the thing:

Features:
* level graphical rendering with object models and all (some objects still show up as blue cubes though)
* level editing, adding/removing objects, moving them around directly
* replacing level models with custom models in .obj format (can be buggy though)
* changing some parameters about levels (sky used, object banks etc...)

The editor interface should be intuitive enough, if not, more notes are provided as to how to use it here.

However, it has been almost one year since the last release. Motivation has fallen because of annoying issues with model importing. I first considered leaving the project and releasing the source code to the internets, but I got a better idea. I put the code on a SVN repository, so that interested coders can join the project and help. Dirbaio, from the NSMB hacking scene, has already joined and is willing to help with the aforementioned model importer issues.

The SVN repository is here: http://code.google.com/p/sm64dse/
If you want to contribute, leave me a message with a patch of yours and if your code is good, I'll give you commit access :)

Technical notes on SM64DS hacking can be found here: http://kuribo64.cjb.net/board/forum.php?id=5
The most important documentations:
* Level format (SM64DSe v2.0 and up)
* 3D model (bmd) format
* 3D animation (bca) format
* 3D collision map (kcl) format
The documentations are incomplete (especially the one about the level format). More can be learnt from the editor's code.

Enjoy :)

want some revolution in your coffee?

Elemi
Posted on 02-06-12 04:29 AM, in Link | ID: 5475
Normal User

Jejfjsiejrjntnyns8fujrtnjs8f7eibrbtudiwie
Level: 37

EXP: 319894
Next: 18359

Last post: 1598 days
Last view: 133 days
Yay, it's on GCode :3

I hope that collision can get fixed up just a little more sometime in the future, really a pain everything in SM64DS is hardcoded (well, most things)

Arisotura
Posted on 02-07-12 06:50 PM, in Link | ID: 5885
Developer
pancakes

I hope too. But I'm fairly positive it'll get fixed. Dirbaio is working on a geometry simplifier/triangulator, and I know that he's a good coder and a boss at math so he can get it done.

Also, if you have VC# 2008 installed, you don't need to wait for new releases, just checkout the code from the repo and build it. However, the code in the repo comes with no guarantee that you can get an usable (or even functional) build of it.

Arisotura
Posted on 02-26-12 01:47 PM, in Link | ID: 7537
Developer
pancakes

Dirbaio committed a first version of his geometry simplifier. He said it doesn't work too well with the Block Fort model I used in my youtube videos, but it should work decently with simpler models (actually that block fort model is pretty screwed up).

If you want to test it out, you can checkout the code from: http://sm64dse.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
You'll need VC# 2008 to compile it, the free express version will be enough, and everything needed is provided so no extra stuff to download.
There is a compiled SM64DSe.exe in the repo, but don't rely on it as it may be outdated. Also this will be removed in further repo cleanup phases since it's unneeded and bloating. If I find some decent shell hosting, I might set up an automatic build bot somewhere...

Alternatively, you can wait for the next release. With no guarantee that it's coming soon.

Next newer thread | Next older thread
Main - General ROM Hacking and Emulation - SM64DSe - Super Mario 64 DS editor - now open

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.056 seconds. (792KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 81, rows: 513/546, time: 0.041 seconds.