Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 8,953,737
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
03-29-24 10:31 AM
Guest: Register | Login

Main - Posts by Quick Curly

Quick Curly
Posted on 10-15-15 08:36 PM, in Dark Mario - SMB3 Hack Project Progress Thread... Link | ID: 87720
Normal User
Newcomer

Level: 5

EXP: 521
Next: 8

Since: 08-09-12

Last post: 3086 days
Last view: 3086 days
gridatttack: If you're on board for editing the maps, just so you know ahead of time, the last updated version of the hack that I sent to Googie uses custom offsets now. So, you'll need to have the updated text file as well once Googie is done with his additions if you plan to edit the map pointers as well. I just wanted to point that out before it's suspected that there's something wrong with the ROM, when that's all it is.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I've always wondered how your SMB3 hacking projects were coming along.

Quick Curly
Posted on 10-16-15 01:57 PM, in Dark Mario - SMB3 Hack Project Progress Thread... Link | ID: 87734
Normal User
Newcomer

KP: I have noticed your project before both on here and Romhacking.net. It's pretty sweet. :) I never noticed it explicitly stated anywhere, but based on the advanced appearances and object arrangements, I assume that you're making this most recent project with Reuben, yes?
It's understandable that you've been focusing on other stuff though. Please don't feel rushed. Take your time and do what you feel like when you feel like it. ;)

gridatttack: Yes, building the world maps around the level themes is a good method and practice. Not one that I've always followed, I admit. X-P

Also, yes, I generally leave the maps for the end. This way, like you said, the maps can be built to reflect the levels themselves, and also, once all of the levels are actually completed, there's a better idea of which ones are easier and which ones are harder to better determine a fitting order for all of them.

I understand. It's unfortunate that you came across obstacles, but you shouldn't feel forced to continue working on something when you don't have the motivation.
If it ever comes to the extreme point of you knowing that you'll never finish it, you could always potentially allow someone else to pick the project up, or just make an incomplete release like what Mineyl did with his hack a few years ago.
I wonder if the corrupted levels are due to the common issue of people adding more objects and enemies than what were in the original levels.
See, that's why I clear out all of the original levels and enemies for my SMB3 hacks now, and use custom offsets instead. You can build your levels from scratch, as small or as large as you want, and utilize all of the space available in each Object Set ROM bank. All of the levels in my main Quick Bros. 2 hacks use custom offsets, and it gave me more freedom with my available space while I was designing levels.
Pretty much what I assume is one of the intentions of Reuben, though I honestly don't know for sure since I've never used it.

As for receiving help, please feel free to ask what you need another pair of eyes to look at. :) I don't want to take over Googie's thread though, so if it's cool with you, you/we can post in the General SMB3 Hacking Thread on Board 2, or we could start a Kafuka version of the thread over here in which you can post your questions and even your SMB3 hacking progress, which I would definitely be interested in seeing as well.
It's difficult to find direct help nowadays, with conflicting schedules and sometimes willingness, but I've always enjoyed being able to help other SMB3 hackers move their projects forward with what I could. So, please don't be afraid to post everything that you might be having trouble with and/or questions about. If I don't get around to it, maybe other helpful members will jump in, too. ;)

Quick Curly
Posted on 10-16-15 02:14 PM, in Dark Mario - SMB3 Hack Project Progress Thread... Link | ID: 87736
Normal User
Newcomer

KP: Sorry. My bad. Your work is very impressive, for sure! ^_^ Yes! Exactly! ;)

It'll probably take some time, and I don't know if I'll be able to get everything together right away, but I'll try. :P

Googie: Sorry for potentially derailing this board's version of your thread. ^^;;;
We all look forward to the continuous progress of this project! :)

Quick Curly
Posted on 10-16-15 04:00 PM, in General SMB3 Hacking Thread (Kafuka Version) Link | ID: 87737
Normal User
Newcomer

Hello all, and welcome to the Kafuka version of the General SMB3 Hacking Thread! We're happy to have you with us. :D

The main purpose of this thread is to serve as a common place for any and all SMB3 hackers to gather to post about their questions, findings, personal projects, tutorials, custom ASM hacks, and anything else that they can think of. Please feel free to post screenshots, videos, and download links for your demos and completed hacks.
(Please only share patches. NO ROMS.)

This initial post will try to cover some basic quick links for any newcomers who are just getting started.

*Note to KP: If you can elaborate on any specific details and topics (like Reuben) please feel free.*

SMB3 Specific Tools/Utilities:

SMB3 Workshop by hukka - With this program, you can edit the levels, level headers, and object palettes, among other things.

SMB3 Map Editor by Beneficii - With this program, you can edit the World Maps. This includes the tiles, pointers, sprites, starting spaces, airship retreat points, pipes, and locks. A patch of an ASM hack is also included with allows you to have a different X coordinate and screen position for each world's starting space.

SMB3TE by never-obsolete - This program simplifies the process of modifying the tile placements and palette attributes of the title screen.

SMB3 TSA Editor by DahrkDaiz - You can edit the individual graphical tiles that build the blocks and other objects in the game for each Object Set with this program. If you have any issues with trying to run the program (I experienced them myself trying to run this on an older computer) you can always potentially modify the TSA directly by finding the appropriate values at the very beginnings of the Object Set ROM banks. Please ask for more details if you require further assistance with this.

NoDice by southbird - A more advanced editor that I don't have any personal experience with (yet), but should you feel the need for something more advanced than the utilities listed above, you can check it out, and post any additional questions you may have.
A disassembly is also available.

Reuben by DahrkDaiz - A more advanced editor that is still currently in development.

General Hacking Utilities:

FCEUX by FCEUX Team - With its multipurpose tools and features, you can potentially hack anything with the game directly. You do have to know what exactly you're editing though, either by referring to information available, or by finding the data and code yourself. Use this to edit palettes for enemies, Mario, Luigi, etc. that cannot be edited in SMB3 Workshop, as well as text, music, etc.

Tile Layer Pro by SnowBro - A graphics editor which features a tile arranger tool that allows you to better visualize your potential modifications. Be sure to apply the bug fix patch with Lunar IPS if you use this graphics editor.

YY-CHR/YY-CHR.NET by YY - Another graphics editor with plenty of features and capabilities.

WindHex32 by Bongo` - A hex editor for direct modifications. With this utility specifically, you can compare 2 files to find all of the differences between them, with the offsets and the number of different bytes in each case displayed.

HxD by Maël Hörz - A hex editor for direct modifications. With this utility, you can check your ROM's checksums to confirm which version you have. You need to know this information for properly distributing your hack so that others know which ROM version to apply your patch to. (If you use the BPS patching format instead of the IPS patching format though, the user will only be able to apply the patch to the correct version, which removes the risk of an improperly patched ROM.)

Information/references/tutorials:

SMB3 Data Crystal Page - For quick RAM and ROM offsets, as well as the locations for palettes and text for editing purposes.

General SMB3 Hacking Thread (Board 2 Version) - The original thread that this one is based on, which was started back on July 12, 2009. While I'm not trying to direct any users away from this board overall, considering that there are lots of informative posts in the original thread, it is certainly a helpful read for newcomers and general SMB3 enthusiasts alike.

Other notable old posts that are Board 2 and SMB3 related include:

Small SMB3 Map Editor Pipe Editing Tutorial - A short, simple tutorial, complete with visuals, showing how to add a pipe system to the World 1 Map.

Small SMB3 Map Palette Editing Tutorial - A short tutorial showing how to use FCEUXD to edit the palettes for the World Maps.
Also take note that the palettes that each World Map uses are determined by the values found at the ranges 0x1842D-0x18435 (0x9) for object palettes and 0x18436-0x1843E (0x9) for sprite palettes.

SMB3 Title Screen Palette Definitions - Courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood KP.

SMB3 ASM Hack: Disable 2 Player Mode by DahrkDaiz

DahrkDaiz's 2004 Notes

Random RAM and ROM Data Posts:
1. June 20, 2010 - Palettes, Music
2. July 28, 2010 - Underground & Plains Bonus Areas, Map Crap
3. August 16, 2010 - Object Set ROM Banks, Free Space, Unused Levels
4. February 25, 2012 - Koopa Kids Data From Insectduel
5. August 27, 2012 - Mekeninzo Data Dump

Luigi's Chronicles 2 Time/Music ASM Hack, Editing Pipe/Door Pointers, "Custom Offsets"/Your Own Level Sizes

Underground Pipe Death Oversight, Infinite Lives ASM Hack, RetroRain's "Suicidal Mario" ASM Hack

Inventory Bar Worldly Palette ASM Hack

If I'm missing or overly complicating anything, the floor is now open for further discussion and sharing! Please enjoy! :)

Main - Posts by Quick Curly

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.061 seconds. (778KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 95, rows: 493/528, time: 0.050 seconds.