Notings of Attention™
Acmlmboard 2 Released
Github/GIT | @acmlmboard
Chatting Places
Discord

Affiliates
Super Mario Bros. X | Kuribo64
Views: 9,015,084
Main | FAQ | IRC chat | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Stats | Ranks | Online users | Search
04-28-24 12:56 PM
Guest: Register | Login

Main - Posts by Ninji

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ninji
Posted on 10-22-14 12:12 AM, in Acmlmboard, where's it going? Link | ID: 77796
Normal User

toasters
Level: 23

EXP: 67155
Next: 568

Since: 09-08-12

Last post: 3476 days
Last view: 3441 days
Just gonna put in my two cents on a few of the points brought up here...

Switching away from PHP
The biggest issue with this is that it would raise the entry barrier required to run whatever this software ends up being. As awful as PHP is, it's easy to get a script going... This is both a good and a bad thing, I guess?

I like Ruby as a language but I'm not a massive fan of Rails. Python is wonderful. Flask is pretty awesome too, though you don't have to go with that, I'm just mentioning it because it's what I have experience with.

You probably already know that last year I was writing my own AcmlmBoard-inspired software in Python: https://github.com/Treeki/bitBoard

I grew a strong dislike for SQLAlchemy but I really enjoyed working with everything else. So much nicer than PHP.

C web server
As awesome as this is... no. I've always wanted to do something like that for fun. No one would take it seriously though, and probably for good reason.

While you CAN implement a simple httpd pretty easily... a quick and dirty data storage layer is probably not going to be very efficient, at least when dealing with substantial amounts of data. (Though I guess you could just call into SQLite or something.)

SQL Injection
Posted by Emuz
I read an article a while ago where as part of their security a site took a phpBB board and reworked it to only call defined stored procedures and disallow that db user to do anything but SP, and select. This created another limitation of trying to hack via query bleed. Not saying we should do that at all, but it's an example of some newer ideas we could try with MySQL too.
This is really silly IMO. Just use prepared statements and you'll never run into SQL injection flaws. Ever. By all means, use stored procedures if you want - but don't do it just because of SQLi (assuming that's what you meant by 'query bleed').

OOP
Can't say I care for OOP abuse either. I like using classes to encapsulate things that logically go together, make code clearer, and allow for reuse. That's about it.

This fine bulletin board posting is best viewed using Netscape Navigator" 3.0 on Microsoft® Windows 95 or Mac OS 8.0, with a screen resolution of at least 640 by 480 pixels.

Ninji
Posted on 10-22-14 10:54 AM, in Acmlmboard, where's it going? Link | ID: 77808
Normal User

toasters
Level: 23

EXP: 67155
Next: 568

Since: 09-08-12

Last post: 3476 days
Last view: 3441 days
Posted by Emuz
Yeah, I that's the biggest challenge. Anything other than PHP is going to have a higher barrier of entry. However, I think if we do it right we can mitigate some of those issues.
Yeah... Then again, you could look at it from a different perspective:

PHP-based forum software is everywhere. An AB2 written in PHP doesn't have much going for it over many of these packages, like FluxBB and even ABXD/Blargboard. It's more of the same, essentially.

You will have a wider potential audience - but how many of these users will realistically contribute to the AB2 ecosystem, either by contributing to the software (ideas, suggestions, patches, ...) or by maintaining a successful board? As StapleButter mentioned, RVLution (and Kuribo64) are the only Blargboard-based sites that ever actually went anywhere. Both of these could have been run as non-PHP apps as well.

On the other paw, not much exists in the way of forum software that isn't PHP. A high-quality and lightweight forum package in another language would fill a niche that's rather empty right now, and you may be able to attract contributors and users who would have not given this software a second look if it was just another PHP board.

Posted by Emuz
Wasn't SQLAcademy also a bit bloated? I am very unfamilure with python modules so what would you have gone with now?

Yeah.. I'm not a massive fan of SQLAlchemy, but I'm not sure what else would be a good choice - unless you just went for talking to the MySQL DB directly or something.

Posted by Emuz
Question for all: So should I open this thread to the general dev forum?
I'd say yes - other users may be able to contribute valuable input to some of these discussion points!

This fine bulletin board posting is best viewed using Netscape Navigator" 3.0 on Microsoft® Windows 95 or Mac OS 8.0, with a screen resolution of at least 640 by 480 pixels.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Main - Posts by Ninji

Acmlmboard v2.5.5 (10/04/2020)
© 2005-2024 Acmlm, Emuz, et al.

Page rendered in 0.031 seconds. (747KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 45, rows: 430/461, time: 0.025 seconds.